GOOD pubs in Walkley

yup.

lol @ whoever said the florist isn't bad.

are you dissin' me?!

;)

I live round the corner and its ok for a mid week pint.. not convinced i'd go there on a date or a big night out though...

Don't bother with the Firwood Cottage

most pubs in walkley are run by enterprise inns and porter something or

the other so the landlord/manager are governed by what beer they have

at the bar.As stated above there is nothing in walkley that meets your needs but there is not one bad pub in walkley that isnt worth a visit just for curiosities sake while you are living in the area,then you can make your own mind up.the FIRWOOD COTTAGE is one of the friendliest places in walkley to visit olde worlde in decor and such like,

but no geordie bunny boilers allowed :loopy:

Edited by monstercrab

It's a shame that most of the Walkley pubs have become so unappealing. As others have said, it's only a couple (on the edges really) that offer a decent range of beers, comfortable spaces and food (Hillsborough Hotel, Walkley Cottage and Princess Royal).

Quite a few have been closed up for some time now - Royal, Bath, Belle Vue, Sportsman, Heavygate, but I've not been sad to see them go. In most cases a succession of chavish managers took them so far downmarket that they were more of a blight on the local area than an asset.

The Firwood Cottage is unfortunately some way down that path. If you enjoy a cramped and tatty room with a small range of beers on offer (John Smiths and Carling I think) and no food then you will like it. It doesn't have many customers but if you are delighted by the prospect of listening to the banter between a handful of elderly alcohol dependant regulars (think Yorkshire remake of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest with more swearing) then you will have found your nirvana.

The Firwood Cottage is OK for what it is and as long as thats what you want. It was like stepping back in time as far as I was concerned. All blokes, mostly sat around playing dominoes or cribbage with a big TV with Sky on and no choice of beers.

It's a throwback. That isn't to say it's a "bad" pub, it's just very traditional. The OP was enquiring after a range of continental beers - Magnet doesn't count.

As people have said the good ones are on the edge of the area or in some cases not really Walkley at all. It's a pity as there are so many pubs within a fairly small area it should really be much better.

I think the Freedom House is fairly good. Beer is usually well kept and often a choice of 2 or 3 cask ales. It seems to struggle though - even on a Sat night it's not very busy and clientelle is very traditional.

You should try them all though. In most cases it'll be an interesting 15 minute visit while you sup a half of creamflow bitter or keg lager and you'll wonder how they are still open. The aforesaid Firwood Cottage is a good example of this type. But make the most of them because they probably soon won't be there the way things are going.

I agree a 'destination' cask ale pub in central Walkley that appeals to a range of customers could be a winner.

cottage is great then followed up by a nice indian takeaway at the gulistan at end of outh road oppsite library. enjoy

Quite a few have been closed up for some time now - Royal, Bath, Belle Vue, Sportsman, Heavygate, but I've not been sad to see them go. In most cases a succession of chavish managers took them so far downmarket that they were more of a blight on the local area than an asset.

Indeed. The Royal used to be a proper traditional local, but at some point in the last few years it was taken over by some idiot who decided to remove a lot of the old F&F and paint the interior a garish colour, all the atmosphere went and it was like some sort of youth club when I last went in.

As for the Heavygate, how long has that been closed for? It was another one I used to enjoy going in.

As for the Heavygate, how long has that been closed for? It was another one I used to enjoy going in.

The Heavygate closed at end of September last year. It had been a bit rocky for about a year beforehand with small periods of closure. The last people were only there for about 6 or 7 weeks (Big banner "New landlords John and Karen, warm welcome etc..coming soon delicious food" - I don't know if it ever arrived).

The Heavygate was my favourite local for quite a while in the 80s/90s when the 2 Ronnies used to have it. It drew a good cross section of people. Everyone knew the door would be locked most nights and they would

serve till the early hours. There was never any trouble though and they would often remind people to keep the noise down when they left.

There was a really good quiz phenomenon that developed at the pub. A quiz night was started by a guy called Barry (good quizzes too) but if he coudn't make a week someone else would volunteer and it ended up with lots of different groups of people taking turns to run it. The quiz ran over 3 hours or so with 100 questions supplemented by handouts, picture rounds, music rounds, even video rounds (and all this at a time when it was a lot more difficult to produce that kind of media at home). I can't imagine it now - a pub packed full of people doing the equivalent of a really hard exam - but everyone enjoyed it thoroughly.

me and my boyfriend just moved to Walkley and need to find a good pub to drink in. Criteria are good decor, colourful clientelle, and above all a selection of European beers

used to live at Hunters Bar and love lescar and porter cottage, so ideally looking for a pub in Walkley or Crookes with a landlady/lord calibre of Mandy of Porter Cottage fame

Big ask I know!

Could not stop laughing when I read your post :hihi: especially the part with Mandy the landlady! If I had to use one word to describe her it would be "lunatic"......:hihi:

The Heavygate was my favourite local for quite a while in the 80s/90s when the 2 Ronnies used to have it. It drew a good cross section of people. Everyone knew the door would be locked most nights and they would

serve till the early hours. There was never any trouble though and they would often remind people to keep the noise down when they left.

There was a really good quiz phenomenon that developed at the pub. A quiz night was started by a guy called Barry (good quizzes too) but if he coudn't make a week someone else would volunteer and it ended up with lots of different groups of people taking turns to run it. The quiz ran over 3 hours or so with 100 questions supplemented by handouts, picture rounds, music rounds, even video rounds (and all this at a time when it was a lot more difficult to produce that kind of media at home). I can't imagine it now - a pub packed full of people doing the equivalent of a really hard exam - but everyone enjoyed it thoroughly.

I went in a few times toward the end of their tenure I think. Was it a Kimberley / H&H place?

I remember that often they never even used to lock the door or switch the lights off gone 11pm - no need to worry about police going up that way!

It's appalling that we get pubs closing like this because of neglect by pubcos/brewerys, and the fact drinkers are increasingly just chavs who'd prefer to buy loss leading lagers from supermarkets :rant:

(As a side note, I think the takeover of H&H by Greene King was disastrous)

I went in a few times toward the end of their tenure I think. Was it a Kimberley / H&H place?

I remember that often they never even used to lock the door or switch the lights off gone 11pm - no need to worry about police going up that way!

It's appalling that we get pubs closing like this because of neglect by pubcos/brewerys, and the fact drinkers are increasingly just chavs who'd prefer to buy loss leading lagers from supermarkets :rant:

(As a side note, I think the takeover of H&H by Greene King was disastrous)

I'm sure I passed a sign by the junction of Heavygate Rd and Crookes today that said the Heavygate Inn was opening again.

Could not stop laughing when I read your post :hihi: especially the part with Mandy the landlady! If I had to use one word to describe her it would be "lunatic"......:hihi:

She is quite a woman, that's for sure!

Do like the Porter Cottage though, she runs a tight ship and it's good for a chilled out drink.

Has much changed pub-wise up in Walkley? We're looking at houses up there. Has anything happened regarding the people at the Sheaf View starting up a pub in Walkley? That would be great!