Does anyone have a pet tortoise or turtle??

.....I'm thinking about getting my boyfriend a pet tortoise or turtle for his birthday next month.

We are very good pet owners and are very loving to any animal in our care but I was just wondering how easy/hard they are to keep?

I'm under no illusions at all that they are just like gold fish or anything but I am just keen on getting some advise/tips.

x

There are a few tortoise owners and indeed turtle owners on here. Both are not easy animals to keep, or cheap to purchase, but I am sure someone with more expertise and advise will come along shortly.

Some good friends of mine recently bought a tortoise and they had to fill in forms and buy special food and a heated vivarium before they could take it home. It reminded me of when we had tortoises as kids, we drilled holes in the back of the shell to tie a piece of string to, painted their name on the shell, gave them lettuce to eat and a cardboard box to live in. Also the tortoise my friend got was tiny, so the ones we had as kids must have been decades old. Imagine the poor old things lazing around in their tropical paradise when some animal trader comes along and scoops them up, piles them 5 deep in a packing crate and ships them off to rainy England for snotty little brats to poke with sticks. No wonder they never lived very long. Also found out that if they're kept warm, well fed and happy, they don't hybernate.

Some good friends of mine recently bought a tortoise and they had to fill in forms and buy special food and a heated vivarium before they could take it home. It reminded me of when we had tortoises as kids, we drilled holes in the back of the shell to tie a piece of string to, painted their name on the shell, gave them lettuce to eat and a cardboard box to live in. Also the tortoise my friend got was tiny, so the ones we had as kids must have been decades old. Imagine the poor old things lazing around in their tropical paradise when some animal trader comes along and scoops them up, piles them 5 deep in a packing crate and ships them off to rainy England for snotty little brats to poke with sticks. No wonder they never lived very long. Also found out that if they're kept warm, well fed and happy, they don't hybernate.

Yeah, if you didn't tie that string on ...ZOOOOOM! they'd be off!

I have a redfoot and an African sulcata tortoise.

There are several types that we can own in the UK an they generally have slightly different requirements which will vary on the type you choose.

I would go down to one of the shops and have a look at them all as they oes I have get very large.

Keeping them is usually very easy its the initial cost that is the hardest thing about them and if they need vetinary care.

Personally I would go for a hermanns or horsefield tortoise instead of an aquatic turtle.

We've got a pair of Penisula Cooter turtles and they are a bit of a nightmare to clean and keep on top of!

hiya i have a hermans and a horsefield both for sale in a 4ft vivarium with heatlamp and uv strip light no need to buy anything other than fresh food, wanting £240 for the lot, cost a lot more but not got the room for them no more, a reluctant sale and wanting a good home, these tortoise have real characters and are roughly 4yrs old and good eaters!

Hi, I have a forty year old Herman's tortoise. She is fantastic.

They are relatively easy to look after if you have the right set up.

Have a read of these pages and see if you think you can offer one what it needs,

http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/site/Welcome.html

http://www.slowcoach.org.uk/care/adult%20care/adults.html

Good luck!

wow! I've not looked at this post in over a month and everyones been so helpful! thankyou. Think I'm going to wait to get one when I have a bit of a bigger place with a bit more of a gardent.

Thanks again sheffield x