Volunteer for St John Ambulance

Hi there Stomp - thanks for your comment.

The easiest way is to send an email to [email protected] expressing an interest and we'll be in touch. We'll send you an application form and invite you to an open meeting. We had one last night and about twenty people turned up. It was really good and feedback so far includes "I thought it was good and the presentation was interesting but short enough not to be dreary. Very good job over all!"

I would sincerely urge Stomp to give SJA a go. It is unfortunate that a few people seem to have had a less than favourable experience in contacting St John Ambulance.

I have been a member for 18 months and have seen the Sheffield unit grow from strength to strength. When i joined the organisation the Monday night meetings were attended by approximately half a dozen people. However, now there are regularly 25 people in attendance, mainly due to the determination and enthusiasm of the current unit leader. New members are welcomed and invited to participate in the social activities too so that they can become part of the team. It is a great bunch of people, some of whom i consider to be good friends.

I would suggest that anyone looking to join a First Aid organisation should come along and make a decision based on their own experience with us :)

In response to all the recent comments posted, I can totally endorse St John Ambulance.

Like most of the current members, I was apprehensive about joining; not knowing anyone or anything, bar the basics, about first aid. How quickly your opinion can change! From the word go I was welcomed into the group, have learnt invaluable skills and have made some really good friends.

The unit is well run by passionate people who are more than willing to impart their expertise and give up their time freely for the good of all with little reward.

I'm sorry that some people have had a negative experience, I'm sure that thing's are changing for the better and I urge you to give it another try.

hi i am going to be starting a nursing degree in september @ hallam i am wanting some voluntary experience do you have an open day i can come along to and get involved in some things, i have tried to get some voluntary work in hospitals but its nearly impossible thanks ella x

Hi Ella

It's good that you want to volunteer. The easiest way is to send an email to [email protected] expressing an interest, with your contact details, and we'll be in touch. We'll send you an application form and invite you to an open meeting.

(We've actually got one on Thursday evening)

I hope that helps .....

i am with priorty care i have been with them for two weeks now and they are great and friendy give them a try

hi,

i went to the open evening with st john ambulance last night! i honestly dont no where all these comments are coming from about the presentation and the whole evening not been very good! i can say that when arriving at the st john building it is very modern and very well equipt with white boards over head projectors( and everything worked perfectly) the night went very well adn was run very smootlhy i am going back tonight to start some bascis training. overall very well run organisation. I would like to say thankyou to trevor for giving us the presentation.which was excellent. Dont let anyones comments put you off going along to see what st john is all about!!

That's great to hear. Good luck with your basic training, have a great time!

I actually joined St Johns over a year ago, everything was fine I went to the courses etc. I have never yet received my certificate nor have they contacted me about anything?

Not the best I'd say.

I would choose St Johns or British Red Cross, always check that the group who you are volunteering for are registered with the Charities Commission.

Hello everyone - just an update on the new (and vastly improved) process of joining St John Ambulance. Membership now generally takes less than a fortnight including CRB checks and references. Then it is straight on to two training courses covering everything from fainting to AED and ambulance stretchers to CPR.

If you work at it you can be out as a first aider within around six weeks.

The contact details have changed since we are now one big 'County' rather than a number of smaller 'Sectors'.

To join St John Ambulance email [email protected] or call 01924 268 664.

In June we become part of the North East Region and there may be further changes to contact information. Check the website: http://www.sja.org.uk to see the news as it happens.