Cross Bedford St - Peninsula, can you remember?

Miss M. Apparently because I am a new user I need a certain number of posts. Before I can send a private message. Nearly there

---------- Post added 31-01-2016 at 10:55 ----------

Ihave been trying to remember the street opposite us which had Bentons on the corner. It was North Stand it went down to Penistone Road Looks like they completely removed the street when they demolished everything

Sorry North Street

---------- Post added 31-01-2016 at 11:07 ----------

Hazel. My great grandmother was called Ruth Strickland and she lived on Bedford St directly opposite Cross Bedford. She had 10 children and she died in 1961. Her oldest daughter Doris was my grandmother who married Harry. They lived on Cross Bedford St and must be your uncle and aunt

---------- Post added 31-01-2016 at 11:12 ----------

I remember one of the Tomlinson trucks/cars crashing into the wall by the side of our house. It fell on my brother's little 3 wheeler. Apparently he had been on it 5 mins earlier

---------- Post added 31-01-2016 at 11:20 ----------

I am hoping that I only need 1 more post in order to send a private message to Hazel. I believe Mrs Matkin was in the cutlery trade - a buffer. Buffers were apparently well respected and very hardy people

---------- Post added 31-01-2016 at 11:42 ----------

Muscroft. Many thanks Just received you private message but looks like I still can't send

Yes almost behind us on Infirmary Road

Miss M. Apparently because I am a new user I need a certain number of posts. Before I can send a private message. Nearly there

Ihave been trying to remember the street opposite us which had Bentons on the corner. It was North Stand it went down to Penistone Road Looks like they completely removed the street when they demolished everything

Sorry North Street

---------- Post added 31-01-2016 at 11:07 ----------

Hazel. My great grandmother was called Ruth Strickland and she lived on Bedford St directly opposite Cross Bedford. She had 10 children and she died in 1961. Her oldest daughter Doris was my grandmother who married Harry. They lived on Cross Bedford St and must be your uncle and aunt

---------- Post added 31-01-2016 at 11:12 ----------

I remember one of the Tomlinson trucks/cars crashing into the wall by the side of our house. It fell on my brother's little 3 wheeler. Apparently he had been on it 5 mins earlier

---------- Post added 31-01-2016 at 11:20 ----------

I am hoping that I only need 1 more post in order to send a private message to Hazel. I believe Mrs Matkin was in the cutlery trade - a buffer. Buffers were apparently well respected and very hardy people

---------- Post added 31-01-2016 at 11:42 ----------

Muscroft. Many thanks Just received you private message but looks like I still can't send

Hi Barry L, is your brother`s name Joe? I think I may know you (not him) from many moons ago, Did you ever work at Westall Richardsons?

Hi Corny44. No sorry. My brothers are Michael and Alan. We all left Cross Bedford St around 1957 when I was 8

Thank you Sirglyn. Yes Ihave seen the posts from Hazel and she must be a distant relative.

My mother used to tell me of the air raids during the war and how she was afraid in the air raid shelter. Not sure where it was but There must have been a lot of friendships made. I remember Bentons clearly. There was old Mr Benton and his son Alan who took over from him. Old Mr Benton built a stone house at Riverlin when he retired. I remember seeing it. My great grandmother Ruth Strickland had 10 children and lived on Bedford St directly across from Cross Bedford St. I rode many times with Mr Matkin on his cart - I think we took manure to a field somewhere

I went to school with Alan:) Alan Benton I mean........

Edited by herbiegrass
CONFUSION