Cross Bedford St - Peninsula, can you remember?

Hi

Yes they are my brothers. My mother lived there a short while with my grandmother.

I remember my mother telling me of a dog they let go as it ate all the sandwiches off the table which were for their tea.

Any more info about you or the dog would be good as I can let my brothers know

Thanks

Hi Paul, Charlie was with me when I got the dog.

I am on the Photo that includes you and Tony at Charlies wedding to Lynn.

I was talking to Charlie a couple of months ago and just mention e before y to Tony.

I remember you as a youngster as I knocked about with Charlie all the time and spent a lot of time at your house until I joined the army.

Hi

I may have some photos of Charlie and Lynns wedding ill have a look.

Are you Phil R, used to live just above Dial House Club.

Hope im doing this right. Protocol etc.

Thanks

Hi

I may have some photos of Charlie and Lynns wedding ill have a look.

Are you Phil R, used to live just above Dial House Club.

Hope im doing this right. Protocol etc.

Thanks

Hi Paul, that's me.

PM me if you want to.

Ilived at 23 cross bedford st .Across the road facing us was north street.Bentons shop was to the right.A family named thompson was to the left.I can remember some people in the st but my mother remembers every one.She is over eighty.

the undertakers is now an apartment block - very nice too. apparently there is a tunnel leading from it to the tesco as it used to be the hospital. Anyone else heard this?

There was a tunnel between the two parts of the Infirmary that they use to take patients across to the chapel for sunday morning worship.

I remember mrs gascoyne,she lived next to the pub I remember she had two grand sons possibly more.Not living in sheffield anymore so I am loving the forum and going down memory lane.My sisters and I love walking up and down cross bedford st when I am in sheffield it is still easy to remember where the old buildings are .We went to philadelphia school.

Funny you should mention that.I,also take a walk around the area whenever I'm back in Sheffield.I lived 10 years each in Kelvin and Shiregreen but the latter means nothing to me.I always describe myself as coming from the Kelvin.I did all of my primary schooling at Philadelphia.Can't say I enjoyed it though.

I am newly registered today 29/01/16 so not sure how this works. I lived at 1court 1 Cross Bedford St from 1948 to 1957 when we moved to the new Lowedges estate. My grandfather Harry Gillyett remained there until about 1962. I have seen posts referring to him as Harry Gilliott or Gillot. His wife Doris died in 1946 before I was born. Grandad and his wife had 2 children, my mother Dorothy and another Harry. Grandad was not shot down in a Spitfire as noted in earlier posts. He was a Flight Sergeant and suffered a brain hemoerrage whilst on duty in England. The operation went wrong and he was paralysed down his right side and could only speak a few words. I would really like to get in touch with his niece Hazel

I am newly registered today 29/01/16 so not sure how this works. I lived at 1court 1 Cross Bedford St from 1948 to 1957 when we moved to the new Lowedges estate. My grandfather Harry Gillyett remained there until about 1962. I have seen posts referring to him as Harry Gilliott or Gillot. His wife Doris died in 1946 before I was born. Grandad and his wife had 2 children, my mother Dorothy and another Harry. Grandad was not shot down in a Spitfire as noted in earlier posts. He was a Flight Sergeant and suffered a brain hemoerrage whilst on duty in England. The operation went wrong and he was paralysed down his right side and could only speak a few words. I would really like to get in touch with his niece Hazel

Have you looked through the old posts?A lady called Hazel posted on this thread about six years ago and she seemed to have had grandparents living in the area.

Edited by nikki-red

Thank you Sirglyn. Yes Ihave seen the posts from Hazel and she must be a distant relative.

My mother used to tell me of the air raids during the war and how she was afraid in the air raid shelter. Not sure where it was but There must have been a lot of friendships made. I remember Bentons clearly. There was old Mr Benton and his son Alan who took over from him. Old Mr Benton built a stone house at Riverlin when he retired. I remember seeing it. My great grandmother Ruth Strickland had 10 children and lived on Bedford St directly across from Cross Bedford St. I rode many times with Mr Matkin on his cart - I think we took manure to a field somewhere

BarryL - do you know you can private message users of this site?

Click Hazels username and drop her a message!

Hi Hazel, your aunt and uncle must have lived close to my mates grandmother Mrs. Gascoyne. She lived in the house next to the General Gordon.

Hi amazing my grandma was this lady , Sarah Gascoyne be grateful of any other info you can recal ... Thanks

---------- Post added 30-01-2016 at 23:33 ----------

hi harvey

you mentioned a mate remembering Mrs Gascoyne. This was my grandmother!

who was your mate

thanks

Wow that's my grandmother too !! Her daughter Dorothy my mum ... Who are you ?

---------- Post added 30-01-2016 at 23:38 ----------

I remember mrs gascoyne,she lived next to the pub I remember she had two grand sons possibly more.Not living in sheffield anymore so I am loving the forum and going down memory lane.My sisters and I love walking up and down cross bedford st when I am in sheffield it is still easy to remember where the old buildings are .We went to philadelphia school.

My grandma ... Sarah Gascoyne, I have brothers are they the ones ? Info more will let you know thanks