Morley street school

Now I remember who you are we have spoken on reunited did you see the photographs I put on and someone else has put his photos on now which are very interesting.

I am surprised nobody else from Morley Street has answered your post.

They all must have gone to ground!!!LOL I'll have a look on GR

They all must have gone to ground!!!LOL I'll have a look on fr

Although I attended Walkley School we went to Morley St for woodwork.

In my last year around 1961 I got the cane for playing darts with the wood chisel's. 3 whacks of the best which ended up with a gash along my forearm when the teacher changed his stance to get a better swing.

O the joys of education but it certainly taught me a lesson.

O yes and no simpathy at home just a hand around my ear for getting in trouble.

If only parents were like that today.

Although I attended Walkley School we went to Morley St for woodwork.

In my last year around 1961 I got the cane for playing darts with the wood chisel's. 3 whacks of the best which ended up with a gash along my forearm when the teacher changed his stance to get a better swing.

O the joys of education but it certainly taught me a lesson.

O yes and no simpathy at home just a hand around my ear for getting in trouble.

If only parents were like that today.

Oh my god if only.

What a better place we would live in,those were the days if you were punished at school for doing something wrong you were punished again when you got home.

We were never angels and got up to all sorts of scrapes but nothing like some youngsters get up to these days,and I repeat some not all.:huh:

hi nellie

been on f.r....the pics are great...got 3 pics of my big brother from the person who put then on...would like a copy of one of yours...contact you on f.r.

pisces

Yes I went to Morley Street School in the fifties,remember the teachers Mr Wlliamson.Mr Webb.Mr Jackson,Mr Priestley.Headteacher Mr Moore.Miss Peat.

I also remember we had to walk to the fields at Myers Grove Lane for our games lessons before Myers grove school was built when we had finished we had to walk back.

When we went swimming we walked from Morley Street up to South Road caught the tram to Glossop Road baths and then back again after.

Two seperate playgrounds for boys and girls we also had the slipper and the cane never did us any harm and it did not make thugs out of us.

Good Teachers and a good school.:thumbsup:

Was Mr Moore the fattest bloke we had ever seen as kids !!! I was there till 1954

then passed 11 plus and went to City Grammar - still remember it fondly - making a slide after a frosty night in that steep schoolyard.

does anybody have any memories of Morley Street School in the 1950's and 60's...

Sure do - was there till 1954 - then passed 11 plus - went to City Grammar.I remember after a frosty night making a slide in that steep schoolyard also

remember getting slipper for talking!!!

My mom and her brothers went there - the Wood family from Kirkstone Road - probably in 1930s. Their mum, my gran, was later a dinner lady. Too much to hope that anyone might remember them?

We must have been at Morley Street at the same time Jay,I loved my time at Morley Street I went straight through until I was 15 it was the only school I went to.

Have a look at the photo's I have put on friends reunited.

I had the slipper and the cane not that I was really naughty but I talked and laughed quite a lot.

I was there from 1959-1966; Mrs Marshall was headmistress, and she drove a cream Moggy Thou - i remember a Miss Abel and a Miss Jenkinson from my 1st year there. Mr Rawlings became head a bit later on, and then Mr.Biggin (who was a bit scary!).

Also recall Mr.Hirst (he had an MG1100) - "what's amiss, what's amiss?" which was usually followed by the ruler or cane hitting someone; Mrs.Swift, Miss Wharton, Mrs.Morris, Mrs.Fleming.

The sweetie shop near school at the bottom of the ginnel was run by Mrs. Gladwin (who'd sell you single cigarettes for 2d) - they had a black & white spaniel called Candy - can't really believe i've dredged all this up, just from seeing your post.

Edited by BownessBoy

I have put Photographs taken outside the sweet shop on Friends Reunited if anyone is interested.