Morley street school

Hi i was at morley st 1950 anyone remember Ken Spooner /Bbarry Berisfod also does anyone remember Mr Riley or Mr Senior

I attended Morley St and left in 1960 to start work at Robert Brothers. I certainly remember Mr Williamson (little willy), Mr Webb (taught geography) Mr Jackson (pt) and Mr Priestly who who married another member of staff.One of the most feared was Mr Ball (woodwork teacher) he would cane anyone for anything!!

The majority of the teachers used excessive punishments but I never needed counselling like the children of today. It must have worked as I had a very successful 36 years in the Royal Air Force.

If anyone remembers me please send message.

Mr Ball a name I remember well,he was a big bully boy a real tough guy with 10 year old lads!.We had to go to Morley St for woodwork once a week from Hillfoot County School,one time I was 15mins late due to my mother serving my dinner late!.It was a real trek for me legging it home to Owlerton and then to Morley St,as soon as I showed my face Mr Ball went into his humiliating routine!.It was water off a ducks back until he made remarks about my parents being no good and probably so busy boozing not keeping me in line!!.When he said that I told him to say it to my father's face and see what happened,next thing he punched me hard in my face knocking me out,I woke up under my bench where I was kept until the lesson ended!.On arriving home ma asked why my face was swollen so I told her and not to tell our old boy for I didn't fancy another clip but she broke her word and the excrement hit the fan!.Ball was made to come to our house where he lied through his teeth fooling our old man due to my reputation as a load of trouble,something must have been said about Balls behaviour because I never went to woodwork again which suited me fine!.

---------- Post added 07-07-2015 at 12:07 ----------

On a happier theme than my previous post one day at breaktime in the schoolyard at Morley St a few of us were boringly staring through the locked school gates at the street outside,when we spotted the local windowcleaner freewheeling down the hill on his situp and beg bike!.He had the bucket on the handlebars and a ladder with a hooked end over his shoulder,opposite us was a gaslamp which he passed at a fair lick the hook on the ladders wrapped nicely round it stopping him dead throwing up in the air whilst his bike carried on down the hill!.He couldn,t have done it any better if he had rehearsed it 50 times,well we nearly wee wee,d ourselves which I don,t think he appreciated very much by the threats and foul language aimed in our direction!.It brightened up a boring day for us and spoiled the poor windowcleaners,dozey pilllock!.

Edited by old tup

Interesting reading about your school days at Morley street . I was ahead of you

I left in 1956. I can't remember excessive punishments. I got the cane for

playing hangman in a lesson (more hurt pride than anything).

I know it is a long time since anyone posted to this thread. I am new to the forum and just wondered if anyone was alive and kicking who attended Morley Street School in the 1940s?

I remember Mr Moore and Kelsey's sweet shop and the air raid shelters on the tip.

I would love to hear from anyone who remembers the above [and more].

Hi Westi, I was at Morley street from. A out 1945 and left in 1956. I remember headmaster Mr Moore taken o re by Mr Rawkins, also remember teachers Watson, Hirst,

Priestley, Jackson , Peat, Idle, and.cant think of any more at the moment going to Glossop

Road swimming baths and Hillsborough baths, games at Myers Grove Lane, Kelsey's next door, the tip. I. can remember lots of names in my class, would be good to hear more from

you.

My Mum went to Morley St School as did most of her family. She is now 83 and still lives in Sheffield. Her name was Doreen Legdon, her best friend was and still is Audrey Smith.

Hello Totley, nice to hear of someone attending Morley Street school. Your Mum was about

10 years ahead of me but I have posted some photographs on Friends Reunited , may be

someone on them your Mum knows.

Hi Ten Ten

Do you remember my sister Jean Holmshaw? I think she may have been in your class. The names I recall are Gwen Thompson, Rita Topham, Dorothy Salt, Hazel Chamberlain & Derek Burden.

Hi Westi, good to hear from you. The name Topham rings a bell, don't know about the others. People I can remember are Linda Hall, Pat Rawson, Pat Coggan (her Father was in

the building business) June Laver, Carole Harrison,Iris Bacon , Valerie Roberts, Alan Bradwell, Selwyn Bramall and ma y more. I ha e joined Friends Reunited and put some

photos on there, might ring a bell with you.

Hi All...I went to Morley St School from 1951-1961....I remember Mr Moore (head) Mr's Warton,Priestley,Rawlins and a Mrs Morris....Give me more time and I will recall a few more..!!! LOL...We had games on the field at Myers Grove and often in the summer nature walks in the Donkey Woods. My name was Eileen Jackson...my brothers Tony and Brian also went to the same school.Brian was 8 yrs above me and Tony was 2 yrs above me...Hope to hear from anyone who knew us...

Hello Pisces, I was at Morley Street (first in the nursery) then Infants 1946 right through

to 1956. I'm trying to remember your. brothers (gets harder as you get older) remember

games at Myers Grove, Donkey Woods etc. I was head girl 1955 just before I left .

I have joined Friends Reunited and put some photos on there (some upside down as I was

new to my iPad )

Hi Ten Ten.....What was your name.....Eileen