La Favorita coffee Bar

Did anyone go to La Favorita in the mid 60's on Carver Street(think it's a fashion shop now). Think it was one of the few places you could hang out listen to Motown and the such like.

Yeah , great place , La Favorita !

Ww used to go in after the pubs shut in the mid-.....to late---'60's and it was always full of characters and action , especially at weekends.

I was never into music at that time , so can't comment on that .

There never seemed to be a closing time and in fact after a certain time , they used to do , 'breakfasts '.

In addition to that you could nearly always get some , "sweets " i.e. pep-pills if you knew who to ask and if necessary move onto the all-night bowling alley .......or wherever.

Great days !!

I worked in the kitchen when I left school (approx.1961/2).A lot of my friends used to call in after anight out.Does anybody remember me?

Ah....

Jeff "Beck's Bolero" and Cream's "I feel free" on the juke box, and a Mr.Choudri (sp?) in charge.....

Yes, a great meeting place it certainly was.....

Did anyone go to La Favorita in the mid 60's on Carver Street(think it's a fashion shop now). Think it was one of the few places you could hang out listen to Motown and the such like.

Yes it was great just of Divison Street as you sat in the window there was a small car park.

It was the class place to take new friends on a first date they thought you were class, later we would meet with our Vespas and try and pose.

Those were the days and because you have reminded me I have so many fond meomories of the place and my youth when we were so young and free.

Top Post

We must all have been in there at the same time! I wonder if any of us ever dated any of us .... :D

Used to spend many a happy Saturday morning there.

I can remember drinking "hot lime" with a drop of sugar in it.It was served in a pyrex glass with a stainless steel holder.Might try one again just to recreate old times.Saturday afternoons used to be good,putting your order in to the shoplifters (Angie and friends) Levis for 50p,tab collar shirts from smc.Then getting "blues or bombers for all-niter at the Mojo from your local pusher or the lads from Peterborough.

On 6/3/2008 at 8:51 PM, dsweetman said:

I worked in the kitchen when I left school (approx.1961/2).A lot of my friends used to call in after anight out.Does anybody remember me?

My very very dear and beautiful Nannan was a waitress here too.

Carol Mycock/Rycroft was here name. She very recently and suddenly passed on the 22nd  of December. She was my most beloved person and her days at Le Favorita were amongst the stories I’ve sat and listened to all my life. I’ve been trying look at pictures of the landmarks of her life and it both lifts and breaks my heart to read yours and the other messages here about a place that shaped her and defined her life, amongst many others, enough for her to retell stories to her grandchildren. 

If anyone knew her it would be fantastic to here from you . Or any advice about finding pictures of this place or The Park area. Specifically Granville Street and the old Wicker end of Attercliffe Road.

with regards 

her grand daughter Amy Laycock 

Edited by Carol Mycock

Hello Amy,

I knew your nan very very well, I never knew that she had worked at the Fav even though I was a regular there. Your nan was my sisters best friend from being 8years old to her sudden death which came has a big shock to her and me also when I heard. I was brought up in the Park district we lived on South Street, you will know my sister Jenny she lived above your nan in the flats just off Duke Street. I was a few years younger but w still got up to loads of stuff like nicking potatoes from a warehouse just off South Street and taking them to her house on Granville Street and cooking them on the fire back with Cynthia too. I won't put my full name here on the forum, I'm so sorry that she has gone but she won't ever be forgotten. Alan.

8 hours ago, alan p said:

Hello Amy,

I knew your nan very very well, I never knew that she had worked at the Fav even though I was a regular there. Your nan was my sisters best friend from being 8years old to her sudden death which came has a big shock to her and me also when I heard. I was brought up in the Park district we lived on South Street, you will know my sister Jenny she lived above your nan in the flats just off Duke Street. I was a few years younger but w still got up to loads of stuff like nicking potatoes from a warehouse just off South Street and taking them to her house on Granville Street and cooking them on the fire back with Cynthia too. I won't put my full name here on the forum, I'm so sorry that she has gone but she won't ever be forgotten. Alan.

Hi Allan ,did you know George Crapper who lived local to you, he was a bus driver and he later on became landlord of a pub on the flats.

Hello Albert,

Yes I know George but I think he could be older than me, I'm 69 next birthday. He had the Scottish Queen on Parkhill flats which I used but it was before he took it. Everytime I see your name it reminds me of a Albert Smith who married Margaret Siddall are you related? I used to drink with Albert in all the pubs on Parkhill and Red Lion on Duke Street that is a long time ago. Alan.