Who remembers City Hall dances c1954?

I think you have to be careful when buying Jazz on what appears to be cheap 'no name CD's.' What seems to be surfacing now are obscure sessions and live performances that were not considered commercially acceptable at one time, perhaps, due to bad sound, choice of material and just downright awful recording techniques (maybe somebody had their own recorder.) Then on the other hand, I am sure most people have purchased CD's that have bonus tracks (usually on a well known label,) as most of these were originally intended for LP's and the limited time constraints, we all benefit with the extra and sometime better tracks (and at the worst, just differrent.) I buy very little new stuff, but am always on the prowl for what I consider 'good stuff going cheap' because of clearouts and per/cent.off for varying reasons, I've found lots over the years, it makes collecting more fun. With all the talk about records and the like, i've just realised this is the 'City Hall' thread and not the 'Jazz' one, sorry!

I think this is really the "Friends from the City Hall" thread maybe we should re-name the thread- been good hasn't it.

Regards Nan.

I think this is really the "Friends from the City Hall" thread maybe we should re-name the thread- been good hasn't it.

Regards Nan.

Ok nanrobbo we will try and get back on track here, although my question is related to the Auditorium upstaires. Does anybody remember the man that used to try and introduce the bands but got booed off most times? I think his name might have been Gerald Cohan (or something like that,) he was'nt Mr Personality and Dynamic was'nt his middle name, I think he represented the booking agency which might have been 'The Harold Davidson Organization' at that time. Anyway he used to go on and on with 'what a big favour they were doing for you' kind of thing. The audience did'nt appreciate him one bit, mostly people thought he was just cutting into the performance time.

Anybody remember a guy called Jacky Newman who was a regular down the City? He had a live in girlfriend with the nickname 'Braces'. When the Kirchin band played a dance at the City one time he got up and did a really good impression of Danny Kaye.

And another couple, Hughie and Marjorie Bell, had a handbalancing act on the halls for a time. Marjorie had a friend who went in for beauty contests. I think she eventually got interested in local politics and became Mayoress of Sheffield. (That's Marjorie's friend, not Marjorie).

Anybody remember a guy called Jacky Newman who was a regular down the City? He had a live in girlfriend with the nickname 'Braces'. When the Kirchin band played a dance at the City one time he got up and did a really good impression of Danny Kaye.

And another couple, Hughie and Marjorie Bell, had a handbalancing act on the halls for a time. Marjorie had a friend who went in for beauty contests. I think she eventually got interested in local politics and became Mayoress of Sheffield. (That's Marjorie's friend, not Marjorie).

Was Jacky Newman the guy who owned General Plumber's & Glaziers, the fireplace shops?

Don't remember the two guys you mentioned TEXAS, I would have enjoyed their originality though, they might have even known 'Woody.' The Thursday evening dance at the 'City' was OK also, used to go there after night school, we were in town anyway (it might have even been a bit cheaper,) not quite as crowded, no line ups. It was a good feeling, Friday next day and then the weekend again.

That's the man Gerry. I heard a story about the breakup of his relationship with his girlfriend. Apparently she moved out and moved in somewhere else, the bathroom of the new place needed extensive refurbishment so she went down to Jacky's shop on West Bar and chose a complete new bathroom suite plus fitting and charged it to Jacky.

Seems sometimes we were never away from the place, the City I mean. Some of us went down there to a 'Tea Dance' after a session in the Lion one afternoon. I dont know what we were thinking. Our mutual friend Jeff S' took a look around and remarked 'G** Almighty, tea and apathy.' After all these years I still have a chortle about that.

I thought that was the man Texas. A friend of mine worked in one of his shop's. In the Wicker I think. Anyway, the story was that Jacky used to make regular cash collections from all the shops and by the time he got to the Wicker he was a little worse for wear. Apperently after emptying the till all his pockets were stuffed with cash and this friend followed him out to the car picking up all the cash that was falling out of his pockets and stuffing it back in his pocket.

By the way I remember most of the guys you mention, Woodin, Curly, Swain etc. etc. What a great time we had in those days. Liked your story about tea & empathy.

Also, wasn't there a brother and sister who used to do funny things?

Oh yes indeed, but I dont think we should go there. Actually to quote Woody Allen, I'll bet it was 'the best time they ever had without laughing'.

Oh yes indeed, but I dont think we should go there. Actually to quote Woody Allen, I'll bet it was 'the best time they ever had without laughing'.

Yes I think you're right.

I thought that was the man Texas. A friend of mine worked in one of his shop's. In the Wicker I think. Anyway, the story was that Jacky used to make regular cash collections from all the shops and by the time he got to the Wicker he was a little worse for wear. Apperently after emptying the till all his pockets were stuffed with cash and this friend followed him out to the car picking up all the cash that was falling out of his pockets and stuffing it back in his pocket.

By the way I remember most of the guys you mention, Woodin, Curly, Swain etc. etc. What a great time we had in those days. Liked your story about tea & empathy.

Also, wasn't there a brother and sister who used to do funny things?

Hi Gerry. It was me that started the inquiries on Ron Woodin(g) these other names seem to have cropped up along the way. I think you have the correct spelling of his surname even. My earlier 'posts' shows my connection, if you could call it that, more like an observation really. Some of my questions have been 'where did he live?' 'what if any, was is job?' 'did he marry, legal or otherwise?' or did he just seem to settle into some sort of obscurity. Would you know if my theory 'he may have emigrated' hold any truth. I have no other reason or interest really, other that I wan't to know how the 'Story' ends, or continues whichever the case maybe.

Hi Fleetwood, I have no idea what happened to these guy's but they certainly made an impression. Calling them legends may be stretching it a bit but here we are talking about them over fifty years later. I imagine every generation thinks that their time was the best but I wouldn't trade my youth for a gold pig