Bird of Prey (?) found outside our flat..*home*

helenem1988

Hi

This bird has been on a window ledge below my flat for a while now and I'm a bit worried about it. Does anybody know what kind of bird it is? Could it has escaped from it's owner?

Thanks.

It does look like it may have a jess hanging down besides it tail on the right, can you can confirm it has leather straps around it's legs and hanging down a couple of inches.

does it have a ring on it's leg, all legitimately owned birds of prey have these.

What area are you in btw, if no-one else is willing to i could come and take a look, i have quite a bit of experience with falconry.

Btw, it's a harris hawk, not native to the British isle so probably an escapee from a falconer.

I've just been down again and had a closer look and he has got a leather strap hanging down, I didn't notice that before!! It's quite dark and he's a bit too far up for me to see closely but it does look like he has got a ring around his leg. Poor thing, I bet he's broke away from somewhere.

We're near Shalesmoor roundabout on Infirmary Road. Thanks ever so much, I'm not sure what we can do with him though, should we call the RSPCA/RSPB?

Thank you for your help.

Same as i was going to say. I thought a Harris Hawk, and it will most prob have jesses on.

Maybe worth contacting local palces that fly birds of prey, only one i can think of is Butterfly place at Aston/Anston, in case they have lost one.

RSPCA may rescue him and then they could find out where it was from as he should be registered. The ring is like a chip in a cat/dog and has a number, i believe.

Rspb would be no help but you could try the rspca.

I'm sure it wouldn't take much catching as it's probably hungry and would come to the glove if prompted.

they're usually fed on chicks, little yellow ones so beware of letting any kids into it's view if they're wearing yellow gloves / mittens etc, it may think it's food, don't worry though, they don't attack people.

If you don't get sorted i'd be happy to come around and help out.

THere's a thread on here referring to a Harris Hawk that escaped over 12 months ago.

Abbeydale, Dore, Totley area

There's another thread about the same bird posted earlier today! Hopefully we'll find out who the owner is!

I'll give the RSPCA a call. Have tried the Butterfly House but nobody's picking up.

Best bet is to ring the police and they'll probably have a report as to who's lost it, if you cant get any joy i'd be happy to try and catch it and give it a home for the night.

its my bird, can i have address please took it out earelier and it flew off

lol, just seen this after the drama last night with the bird. Megalithic... as it turns out it wasn't hungry and didn't want to come naturally to us... so a towel over the head, a struggle and a bitten finger later, it was in a cardboard box.

Good news though to everyone, the Harris Hawk, known to be Rosie has found her home.

This thread can be closed.