My dog doesn't clean herself!

As the title says, Luna never ever cleans her self - she scratches, bites and snuffles but never a good old lick. It means she's always covered in mud and spreads it everywhere. She's quite big and hates baths so can be a bit traumatic.

Is there any way to teach this or do we just have to accept that we have a dirty bitch on our hands?!

:confused:

What sort of dog do you have? is it short of long haired?

My cocker spaniel never cleans himself with his tongue but a good brush once the mud is dry and its all gone. He does however roll around on the carpet which i think helps towards the cleaning process for when ive not got round to brushing him.

My dog cleans himself by jumping in the shower with me!!!!! No I don't have a lock on the door (must invest in one!) :-)

I never bath Molly because there are fabulous natural baths out there called rivers and lakes.

She doesn't care about getting dirty but does like a good roll in the snow or swim to get clean again.

Luna is a short haired - lab cross grey hound we think. She goes for a good swim (well actually more of a paddle/wade) everyday in the woods but I am just intrigued as most dogs I know spend a great deal of time cleaning themselves where as Luna just does not have any concept of it.

I guess it's something they learn when they are with mother or not as the case may be.

I was asking because years ago I heard that rabbits and cats can be taught to clean themselves by dabbing a little water on them which they lick and if done regularly becomes nature - I wondered if there was anything similar for dogs.

The biggest problem with the mud comes when we go to bed at night and, through the bed being covered in dry mud, we realise that she has obviously snuck up there and slept there.

I guess I just need to brush her more regularly...

Thanks everyone

xx