George Best at Frecheville school

Can anyone remember the TV program that was made at Frecheville school with George Best in it ? i was at the school from 1972

Yep, i was at frecheville until 74 & watched the series being made on the bottom field. the series was called, " The Best of Football" & was on BBC1 friday night about 5.45. It ran for 6 weeks. I'm glad another living soul remembers this because when i say imet the late, great George Best most people just kinda raise an eyebrow to signal, "as if". i remember that they selected lads from the football teams of each year & that it was kept very quiet. i recall Frank Worthington also being there on one of the sessions and Besty had a small bet with one of the film crew that he could hit a speaker from the half way line, course he did it an all.

Yes i remember it clearly too, Bestie was a proper hero to us lads at that time and it was exciting to think he was at a school in Sheffield. When i started work a few years later i worked with a lad who was one of the players Bestie coached as he was in the school team. Steve Wilde was his name i dont know if you know him. He used to say it was great but Bestie didnt seem interested most of the time!!

Yes i remember it clearly too, Bestie was a proper hero to us lads at that time and it was exciting to think he was at a school in Sheffield. When i started work a few years later i worked with a lad who was one of the players Bestie coached as he was in the school team. Steve Wilde was his name i dont know if you know him. He used to say it was great but Bestie didnt seem interested most of the time!!

Yes, I also remember that football coaching series. I always thought it strange that a Manchester United player, who came from Northern Ireland should be making programmes based at a school in Sheffield ( which, incidentally, I had left many years earlier.)

Does anyone know why Frecheville was chosen?

A distant cousin of mine was in the programme too. I remember watching the programme as I was madly in love with George at the time and he was my reason for getting into football. My brother took me to see him at Bramall Lane in the sixties, I was only about 8, good times.

I think you may be thinking of Rodger wild, he was a mad blades fan, but went on to play for the owls......... do you remember Roy Worris, , he took the ball off bestie, they had to re shoot that scene lol

---------- Post added 31-03-2013 at 21:59 ----------

Yes, I also remember that football coaching series. I always thought it strange that a Manchester United player, who came from Northern Ireland should be making programmes based at a school in Sheffield ( which, incidentally, I had left many years earlier.)

Does anyone know why Frecheville was chosen?

you may find they chose Frechville because it was one of the best footballing schools around, & Mr Gilliver was an ex pro,

---------- Post added 31-03-2013 at 22:04 ----------

George Best wasn't the only big name player, Quiet a few came over the weeks, I remember the making of it all but never saw it on tv :-( , anyone got it on video or something, id love to show my lad as he doesn't believe me

Yep & old man Gilliver still wore the tracksuit he was given for the programme lol, greta set of lads goalie Glen Greenfield outstanding

I remember it well, my cousins house backed on to the field and we used to watch them filming it from his bedroom.

Played cricket with old Gilliver, he broke his leg bad pushing a car out of some snow, also played football for Rick Jones who took over from Neil Gilliver, Played in the same Cricket team as Rick, sadly pass away

i was at frecheville in 72 ,funny, nobody believes me now when i tell them he came to my school!!

---------- Post added 06-04-2013 at 15:44 ----------

i was at junior school with glen greenfield

i was at frecheville in 72 ,funny, nobody believes me now when i tell them he came to my school!!

---------- Post added 06-04-2013 at 15:44 ----------

i was at junior school with glen greenfield

I was at Frecheville from 3R to 5R then leaving, Glen top lad not seen him for years, but what a goalie.

---------- Post added 07-04-2013 at 19:05 ----------

Played cricket with old Gilliver, he broke his leg bad pushing a car out of some snow, also played football for Rick Jones who took over from Neil Gilliver, Played in the same Cricket team as Rick, sadly pass away

Old Jonesey was an okay bloke, got on much better when I left, must admit I was saddened to hear of his death. Remember he once gave me slipper my arse was on fire, Gilliver was worse he used to take a run up.