Walking/Hiking app for iphone

Maybe too late but Viewranger is excellent and available for IOS.

Edit - I also use OS Atlas. Unsure if this is available for IOS but on Android it's useful for providing mapping for areas where you've not purchased maps. Obviously relies on having data coverage but it's cheap (or was when I bought it donkeys ago, like 99p I think) and pretty handy at times.

Edited by vwkittie

The new iFootpath App - iFootpath Mobile has just been launched. It has lots of new features including walks to download, GPS tracking on walk maps as well as the ability to create tracks and walks from the App. It's free at the moment but this is likely to change. The website is iFootpath dot com

There is a new forum on the iFootpath website if you want to post up some comments.

So we are back. We spent some time during the summer developing a new iPhone App called iFootpath Mobile. It has a GPS tracker which records and you can upload the track to our website for editing. We have used it a lot now and it is working well.

We reviewed other Apps too to see what they offer. Although they all have similar functions they are built for different uses. For example some are for walkers, joggers and those using a bike. Some are for meeting friends on a walk and some ...... well to be honest we didn't really figure it out. Viewranger looks to have the most features and probably the biggest fan base.

We have built ours so that walkers can navigate along detailed route descriptions with pictures and of course a map - all are available on the iPhone - or you can print them from the website. We hope that it will find some fans. Although we hope to appeal to serious walkers we also want to attract the casual walker that likes to explore highways and byways, river walks, etc.

iFootpath Mobile - as we call the App -also allows walks to be tracked and uploaded to our site. You can then download them and upload them to other sites if you wish. On the website we have added a GPX file editor. It allows you to trim, edit and add waypoints and then save. we have noticed that sometimes the track can go a bit wiggly. With the editor you can get rid of the squiggles. You can use the GPX editor on the website even if you don't use our App as you can upload directly. (You will have to register which is easy and quick)

So we are every pleased with our App and hope that some of you may give it a spin.You can find it on iTunes or you can visit our website iFootpath dot com

The website has some detailed user guides for the App and GPX/GPS editor.

Can anyone recommend a good app for walking/hiking,using iphone, I have already purchased Outdoor Yorkshire and was wondering if anyone was using anything else

I think hikemategps is exactly what you are looking for.

hikemate provide many features not only you can track work-outs such as levels, time, distance, photos, but also you can post and share your work-outs on your blogs or communities via mash-up service, e-mail, twitter, facebook posting features.

also support GPX file export/import...

if you use twitter, search "hikemate" then you can see many uploaded-mash up results there.

you can see route recorded and waypoints with pictures while you are hiking all the way.

Endomondo can be used for hiking and other similar apps are there.

you'd better search on Navi category first.

Can anyone recommend a good app for walking/hiking,using iphone, I have already purchased Outdoor Yorkshire and was wondering if anyone was using anything else

oh..I missed one.

motionGPX still good software on iphone based.

You might like the ifootpath.com app (just search for ifootpath on itunes or go to the website iFootpath dot com

Here is a description

iFootpath Mobile, along with its partner website iFootpath.com, has been created to inspire people to get out and enjoy beautiful walks across the UK.

iFootpath is made for walking, and only for walking. From town trails to riverside strolls and countryside rambles, we are building a library of walks for everyone to enjoy - be it alone, with your dog or with family and friends.

iFootpath is different. Of course it does provide the ability to collect, edit and share GPS trail data but that's only the start. The walking guides are beautifully presented and enhanced with richer information optimised for walkers - descriptions, turn by turn instructions, photos, historical notes, maps showing the GPS trail, what to see along the way and the author’s insight into what makes each walk great.

Key features include:

EXPLORE

- Download walking guides from the store (all free) to take with you

- Find walks near your current location or by name, walk length or county

- Your walking experience is facilitated and enhanced with photographs, turn by turn instructions, descriptions of the area, historical notes and points of interest

- Avoid any wrong turns by following your real time progress along the walking route on the live map

- Works even without mobile signal coverage as walking guides are stored on your phone

- Add your own photos and comments about the walk at iFootpath.com

CREATE

- Track your own walking route using your phone’s GPS capability and the intuitive iFootpath tracker

- See your route drawn live on the map while you are on the move

- Keep tracking your route while using other apps or phone functions (iOS 4 required)

- Add waypoints to break your walk into sections and help walkers navigate and find key landmarks & points of interest

- Upload your route to iFootpath.com where you can use the bespoke visual GPS editor to correct any errors, add additional waypoints, reorder waypoints or extend the track to perfect your route

- Add photos and descriptions on the website and then share with the iFootpath community, family and friends

Try Spyglass, it's by far my favourite nav app. It works extremely well when offline with just gps signal and top-notch for off-road navigation, hiking and camping. It's crammed with all that necessary data like gps coordinates, current azimuth, altitude, speed, potential arrival time to your target and much more.

Map my run is my fav

Free and really good reception not to heavy on battery and easy to use.

i use view ranger....great app

Same here I'm still using ViewRanger, it's brill :)