Action 4 employment v remploy

a4e was a total waste of time they havent got a clue what they are doing most of the staff are ex clients with no relevant qualifications you get no support or help you just sit around reading newspapers to pass time and then they force you into charity shop placements poundland if your lucky and other jobs you dont want or if they cant help you they will send you to employment agencies for temp 2-3 week jobs so that that a4e the company can beifit by claiming £3k for helping you into work
Poundland if your lucky....... poundland if you are unlucky. Shelves were filthy, they scared the be jeebies out of us telling us the place was haunted near the girls toilets. Had to clean the shelves, and keep going in and out stacking the shelves or taking all the stock off and rearranging them. Out of all of us they employed one person. I heard a noise in the store room too. We didn't get a break or any dinner time or any dinner money. They tried to get us to work longer sometimes as no-one knew the time. Wouldn't ever do that again. Worst 10 days of my working life.

And that, in a nutshell, is what's wrong with this 'one size fits all' scheme.

So you were late. Tell me about it. I've worked in adult education and there was always one who was late/hadn't brought a pen/hadn't brought a notebook. (Never their fault...) Don't chill. I'm sure if you ever got an interview, you'd be late for that too.

And the second point. To quote the A4e guff:

"Nothing says 'relax' like the soft furnishings", "With its noise-reducing partitions, this is the perfect spot to get your head down for some serious work".

Hmm. No mention of being a creche. So on to the training room and the 'course' has just started ('Goals', no doubt). 15 minutes in and in comes somebody who is late....

Not having a go missflirtuk (oh go on then, I am) but some people need help with a CV, some people need to know about going about a serious job search. Some people need training in basic stuff (like punctuality).

But not all.

Actually the interviews I had I was 15 minutes early so don't start. I couldn't find it as I had never been before and set off early too so I had chance of finding it, but it was tucked away in this really old building that was full of steps, and I didn't know that I would have had to take my child. They want me to go back and visit with my DD (seems she made quite an impression on them, made the men go all googly eyed) :hihi:.

They are just driving people to depression and suicide all for £64 quid a week!! expecting a person who has been a builder for 30 years to train to work in an office or on a bus.

Three times they tried sending on a 13 DAY course to get a cscs card. I already had one! :hihi:

Once they realised there wasn't a lot they could do for me, my meetings turned in to a natter over a cup of tea when i went in. It soon became clear that their only concern was getting people off the unemployed status list by any means possible (work experience, training courses, unsuitable jobs etc etc).

He even went as far as to tell me their monthy targets (12 people), and how many they were achieving (normally 17/18).

Just to clarify, the original poster edited their original thread on 25th Oct 2010, it was not edited or deleted by mods or admin.

I best not mention I work for one of Remploy's sub contractors lol......queue the beasting :D

I did some interviews last year for a position we had and I was asked if I would interview four long term unemployed on the books of one of these companies so I agreed.

I only got the c.v.'s minutes before the interviews so I was really reading them as they were sat in the waiting area. One of them had not worked for 19 (yep 19) years.

I therefore, quite naturally, asked why they had not worked for so long (expecting some long winded story about how they had tried etc but not succeeded).

Anyway, to my surprise the person in question said "I have been ill." Showing sympathy I did not push further but the person volunteered "It was my last job that made me ill." I said that must have been pretty bad to have made them ill for so long to which they replied "Yes. It was full time and I started work at 9 every day and was never late or anything but they always made me work really late and I fell ill as a result. One day they made me work until 7 o'clock.."

"In the morning?" I asked, aghast.

"No in the evening"......

True story.

wow, that's truly shocking....the lengths some employers will make you go to in a job!!

....did they get the job btw?

....did they get the job btw?

I suggested to the company as part of my feedback that the person needed some training in interview techniques, particularly in covering gaps in c.v.'s!

Out of interest, how would someone who could teach actual employability skills go about getting funding from the government?

Skills in things such as IT, Numeracy etc.... skills that could help you and make you more employable?

Surely with all the Tutors being laid off in FE, could one of them not apply for funding and set up an alternative to these kind of courses?

Out of interest, how would someone who could teach actual employability skills go about getting funding from the government?

Skills in things such as IT, Numeracy etc.... skills that could help you and make you more employable?

Surely with all the Tutors being laid off in FE, could one of them not apply for funding and set up an alternative to these kind of courses?

I am a tutor in FE that teaches Employability Skills, the problem being is that this city is full of training providers already and well established. To win the DWP contracts you need to be up and running as a training provider and experienced at bid writing... that is money that people working in this sector just do not have... I always try to make sure that my clients feel relaxed and enjoy the training provided, training needs to be fun and enjoyable to learn which i know in the past it has not been with some organisations.

Action 4 Employment (A4E) may not be the right kind of job agency for everyone. What people have to remember before signing up with A4E is; "A4E isn't there to get you a job, that part is up to you. A4E is there to help you understand the job market and how it works, who it's looking for as potential employees. A4E is there to help you search for a job, it cannot guarantee you'll get a job". Nobody can guarentee that.

Action 4 Employment (A4E) may not be the right kind of job agency for everyone. What people have to remember before signing up with A4E is; "A4E isn't there to get you a job, that part is up to you. A4E is there to help you understand the job market and how it works, who it's looking for as potential employees. A4E is there to help you search for a job, it cannot guarantee you'll get a job". Nobody can guarentee that.

Wise words Brian... Noone can apply for a job for you, do the interview on your behalf and then get through the probabitionary period for you! People do think like this though, but employability contractors can only jog the workless towards work, and get them used to getting up in the morning and having a time scale to keep to... It doesn't take long being out of work for little things like this to be let go...