'Stood like Clem'

On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2010 at 03:26, Joanl said:

I was often told to "gerron wiyit then, don't stand theer like Clem" and we lived in Attercliffe. I really don't think it was specific to Barnsley cos I heard it from lots of people then.

There is a Clement Street in Attercliffe....just saying.

Clemmed means hungry, the word Clemmed or Clemming was used when animals were due to be slaughtered, they were put in a Clemming house so  their bladders and bowels would be emptied overnight or longer, using a Clemming house stopped all the effluent going everywhere during slaughter. I have book on Hathersage and the "Clemming" house is explained inside .

When I was growing up in the 1950s we had a neighbour called Clem (I won't post his surname here) and he never seemed to go out to work. He would spend most of his day stood on his doorstep, leaning against the door jamb, and just watching the world go by. So when my mum used to say not to stand there like Clem I always assumed she was referring to him. Reading the posts on here it would seem I was wrong. 

Grannypat

One for old ones in the building trade . Believe its a Barnsley expretion /   Have you got any spare 

LIGGERS   any body know what liggers are

58 minutes ago, spider1 said:

One for old ones in the building trade . Believe its a Barnsley expretion /   Have you got any spare 

LIGGERS   any body know what liggers are

My dad used to say " don't you lig in bed all day"

11 hours ago, lazarus said:

My dad used to say " don't you lig in bed all day"

Yes are you liggen in today [not going to work ] liggin in staying in bed ] 

On 26/01/2010 at 13:06, rubydazzler said:
scoobz said:
Oi you, hijacking my thread :). Very interesting though, even if it is off-topic. going back to the Barnsley link for 'Clem', the reason I think there's a connection with Barnsley is down to my Dad answering "He's a statue in Locke Park" every time we asked him who Clem was. It could well be that it was just something he said to shut us up!

Sorry! mmm, standing around like Clem was an old saying, deffo. And standing/looking like souse was another one, and, like a spare part. I also love 'looking gone out'. We should start trying to bring back the old sayings, they were a lot more fun than the recent ones, innit?

Yes we used to get that Clem up will you  

Thas got a face like a dish cloth. Face like a bootlace

Wish tha d straighten thasen up 

Na then Serry 

Dont thee go and knock theesen up muka

Edited by spider1

In Liverpool the equivalent is Standing round like one of Lewis' reference to the mannequins in the shop window,

1)A term for an employee or co-worker who is slower than most and often makes many mistakes even after considerable time on the job. The term Clem can be said to there face because they are often unaware what it means.

And my family were from Attercliffe!😉

Edited by Pitsmoorlpal
Add some more content

When labour won the 1945 General Election the incoming Prime Minister went to Buckingham Palace as protocol dictates. King George V wasn't best pleased and left Clement Attlee standing there. Eventually Clem piped up "I won the election" to which the King replied "I know, it was on the news".

Does anyone know what lugging means or to tap someone it means trying to borrow money another way off saying it was  there’s a nip in the air   If anyone was called stupid you would say he is a right dumpling or a right tea cake  the building trade had lots off sayings  but you had to be in it to understand them    Wish I was still in it  

mumping, slagging off, brounging, and so on . 

Lugging stuff meant hard lifting like when you carried hod , it was like lugging a nine stone person up a ladder , Rember Lionel Binney he could lift a 90 lb hod wi one hand.

Edited by cuttsie