New Wetherspoons opening - Wards Brewery, Ecclesall Road

A Weatherspoons near the new expensive yuppie hutches :o

It makes me glad I live on a scrubby run down council estate.....NO Weatherspoons here :hihi:

Yes it has gone right downhill recently, when I went in there was no ale at all, and they hadn't bothered to switch any lights on of a dark afternoon. :roll:

When that older guy had it (until up to 2-3 years ago), it was always welcoming and always a decent pint.

It quite often looks closed when it isn't, I've been past a few times and wondered if it had closed down.

It quite often looks closed when it isn't, I've been past a few times and wondered if it had closed down.

it was closed on the first evening of the sheffield beer festival :loopy:

when these people took the apartments it was always known that there would be retail developments and possibly a pub on the ground floor

Yeh, retail outlets, but surely not a bloody Wetherspoons! How long before the apartments are turned over to the DHS rental market

Yeh, retail outlets, but surely not a bloody Wetherspoons! How long before the apartments are turned over to the DHS rental market

Right from the very begginning they were talking about a wetherspoons in there. There was even rumours about a tie up with them. Just look at the unit, just from its shape it is too large for a shop, no access for a car showroom.

In my opinion I think it was obviously designed from the very start to be a wetherspoons type venue.

In my opinion I think it was obviously designed from the very start to be a wetherspoons type venue.

It must have been - as soon as the glass went in, the sign went up behind it saying it was available as a bar opportunity.

Right from the very begginning they were talking about a wetherspoons in there. There was even rumours about a tie up with them. Just look at the unit, just from its shape it is too large for a shop, no access for a car showroom.

Indeed, but look at the clientel it will bring into the area? You've only got to walk past the Bankers Draft and look at the people stood outside to see what I mean! The old Wards Brewery isn't a million miles from where the new market hall is going to be, I can imagine you won't be able to give those apartments away when the market halls open and the clientel have moved from the Bankers Draft down to the new Wetherspoons to be nearer the markets!

How long before the apartments are turned over to the DHS rental market

I beilieve thats already happening at West One

http://www.leeds-city-guide.com/cuthbert.jpg

excellent example of a new wetherspoons development in a nice part of leeds. none of the "clientel" from other spoons have moved over there. its a nice bar.

The old Electric Press building in City Square, not far from the LGI, which will be quite handy being in close proximity for the drunks to get treated.

http://www.leeds-city-guide.com/cuthbert.jpg

excellent example of a new wetherspoons development in a nice part of leeds. none of the "clientel" from other spoons have moved over there. its a nice bar.

Thing is this place isnt in a nice part of Sheffield. Its slap bang in between 2 very scruffy estates. I anticipate the mutant lifeforms from these descending on the place like zombies. Should be a great spot for people watching though, with some saucy students to add to the mix.

Thing is this place isnt in a nice part of Sheffield. Its slap bang in between 2 very scruffy estates. I anticipate the mutant lifeforms from these descending on the place like zombies. Should be a great spot for people watching though, with some saucy students to add to the mix.

Cheap drink, market folk and students are an eclectic mix ... they ought to have called it the 'Rab C Nesbit'