New Wetherspoons opening - Wards Brewery, Ecclesall Road

great news the more witherspoons the better

Indeed, but look at the clientel it will bring into the area? You've only got to walk past the Bankers Draft and look at the people stood outside to see what I mean!

You're talking out of your arse. Just because the Bankers can be a pig sty it doesn't follow that other spoons outlets are. The swim inn is ok, I was there last week and the one at woodseats is absolutely fine.

The reason that the bankers attracts so much tramplife is because it is right in the middle of town on the transport crossroads and is near to the courts and run down market hall. In years gone by the cannon and the hen & chickens had all these characters.

See post above. Unless of course people prefer to leave a property empty?

HSBC have leased quite a few in West One to accommodate some of their whiz kids. A friend who owns 2 has let them to HSBC since the day he completed the purchase, they still lease them from him.

A friend's daughter rents in the Wards Brewery development and absolutely loves it, she uses Waitrose like it was a corner shop.

I see some potential problems with the smaller inner city apartments. Those on Pinstone Street above the shops are only 35 square m2 in total area, with no outside space.

http://www.leeds-city-guide.com/cuthbert.jpg

excellent example of a new wetherspoons development in a nice part of leeds. none of the "clientel" from other spoons have moved over there. its a nice bar.

This is the pub I immediately thought of when I read the first posts in the thread. I have nothing against 'Spoons. Being a former employee of the Woodseats Palace I've seen some nice branches, some dire (Swim Inn anyone?)

I have always thought the units at the wards brewery would be quite a pleasant situation for a bar, Wetherspoons or not, and would definitely "head up" Ecclesall road with something lively at street level.

I reckon the residents should hold their tongues as they knew on purchase of their pokey, overpriced apartments that there was an opportunity for such a venue to be placed underneath them.

A Weatherspoons near the new expensive yuppie hutches :o

It makes me glad I live on a scrubby run down council estate.....NO Weatherspoons here :hihi:

ha ha classic Sheffield Forum post, wreaking of jealousy and mis-information just like the other follwing posts about West One and other sweeping generalisations and heresay

What the hell is a yuppie?!! Hard working professionals who live in apartments? Well I guess thats most of the population of every major city in the world.

I moved out of Wards but only have good memories. Hope all's well in your goldfish bowl

ha ha classic Sheffield Forum post, wreaking of jealousy and mis-information just like the other follwing posts about West One and other sweeping generalisations and heresay

What the hell is a yuppie?!! Hard working professionals who live in apartments? Well I guess thats most of the population of every major city in the world.

I moved out of Wards but only have good memories. Hope all's well in your goldfish bowl

Remember that unless you live in a run down council estate with a sofa and fridge on your overgrown garden you are a yuppie and looked down upon...

I like the idea of a weatherspoons on Ekky road, all the bars on the at the moment seem to be a bit out-dated, scabby and quite expensive. Why are all you complaining about a new job oppourtunities, for people who are out of work and in desperate need of a job to support their families.

Did you leave your sense of humour behind at Wards :hihi:

My post reflected the fact that some people have said that Weatherspoons are nothing better than noisy chav catchers. And others have said that it will spoil what are rather expensive apartments.

I just saw the wit and irony in the particular juxtaposition of them both......the wit being the fact that there is still the snobbery of some homeowners wondering what will bring down the value of their property....and the irony of me being on a council estate full of the chavs that would frequest such a hostelry....and there not being one here.

And as for my jealousy.....not a bit of it thanks....I used to own property in London....and the mortgage and associated headaches that go with it.....and I too was part of the hard working professional set back then.....I sold up and got out.....closed my expensive leather filofax and never re-opened it :)

Good luck to them, it should get a lot of students and other locals using it. Most of the pubs on Ecclesall Rd are not very good.

It's quite a large space within a modern building, so maybe it'll be more like the Benjamin Huntsman than the Bankers Draft.

Last time i went in the Devonshire Arms the beer was vile and the place was dirty and freezing cold as the heating wasn't on. It used to be nice in there so I was a bit shocked.

well the devonshire will hit the dust then! sounds like its struggling already. its a shame. times are hard enough for pubs without witherspoons getting even more greedy.

well the devonshire will hit the dust then! sounds like its struggling already. its a shame. times are hard enough for pubs without witherspoons getting even more greedy.

I have never heard of that chain of pubs?

Are they a bit like Wetherspoons? :D

if the devonshire picked its game up and gave the customers the "experience" they want then it wouldnt matter if 10 or a 100 "witherspoons" opened up on its door step, the fact is the pub has gone down hill and its just not nice to go in there now. i for one am glad that the 'spoon is opening, there arent many pubs on the bottom end of eccy rd that i would feel comfortable in they are mostly noisy, over priced, full of ****** up youngsters, inflated egos, snobby attitudes to anything less than middle class.

if the devonshire picked its game up and gave the customers the "experience" they want then it wouldnt matter if 10 or a 100 "witherspoons" opened up on its door step' date=' the fact is the pub has gone down hill and its just not nice to go in there now. [/quote']

Any idea how and why the Devonshire has gone so downhill? I used to go there every so often and it was a nice comfortable relaxing place for a drink and something to eat at lunchtime.