The Harlequin - Is it up for sale

I heard a rumour at the weekend that The Harlequin is up for sale? Anybody else heard this?

One of the guys associated with the Brew Company has taken it over apparently. Or at least that's what he posted on his Facebook page.

One of the guys associated with the Brew Company has taken it over apparently. Or at least that's what he posted on his Facebook page.

From Facebook: "Hi all, well we've been busy busy busy. We are about to embark on a fantastic project which will see me and my fiance taking the lease on The Harlequin Inn in Sheffield. This is a great opportunity both for us, The Brew Company and this good beer guide recommended pub to go from strength to strength. I hope you'll a...ll agree we are securing and developing the future of this great free house real ale haven. http://www.theharlequinpub.co.uk/"

I hope that they do not change a thing - it is a great pub! I especially like the selection of dark beers, the best in Sheff.

This is such a brilliant pub, it's always full and the landlady has been great to the Walking group in the past, letting us hold our functions upstairs for free.

Does anyone know why they are selling? Hard times or moving to warmer parts?

I too hope it doesn't change much, the place is a gem.

Great atmosphere on a Saturday night when they have the live bands on, good beer as well, I hope they don't change it.

i've been meaning to visit this pub and get completely drunk for a while now.

I believe there is a little piece on it in the latest CAMRA local mag, I've seen it somewhere anyway. I seem to remember them saying that they were only going to have one or two pumps of Brew Co. brews and maintain a high quality range of guest ales, so I doubt it will change much at all, which is a good thing.

What's the food like?

The food is/was very nice; just classic pub grub, but very good quality for the price (c. £3).

The announcement from Pete Roberts at The Brew Company:

Liz Aspden & Pete Roberts, co-owner at The Brew Company will be taking the lease on the Harlequin Inn in Sheffield sometime in March. The pub is renowned for its real ale selection, beer festivals and live music. Liz will take responsibility for the day to day running of the pub as Pete still concentrates on running the brewery. ‘It’s a great opportunity for us to run such a fantastic real ale venue and although I brew a wide range of ales, the actual beer list won’t be featuring my beers any more than it already does. We understand the reputation it has for serving new beers from craft brewers around the country. If anything we intend to build upon and develop that reputation’