Stupid question about toilet training..

Hi guys :wave:

I just got myself a Shih-Tzu x poodle (shih poo?). She's 10 weeks old and we've had her since Friday and she's FANTASTIC :D

Toilet training is coming on well. She was newspaper trained before we got her but I've moved her straight onto grass and she's getting the hang of it really well. I'm doing the usual; first thing, after playing, after eating, on waking etc

The question I have is when I do catch her going in the house and scoop her to the right spot how long do I keep her outside?? as she usually just sits down looking at me as if to say 'well, I've already done it now'!

Also, I know I'm possibly just really lucky but has been clean all night (11pm-8 ish) is that normal?

Hi :)

My recent pup was 11 weeks when I got her and she was clean right from the start. I can't remember how long it took Takara... It's certainly not abnormal, but it's also not a great concern if they're not clean through the night at that age... all pups are different :)

As for taking her outside, I always say no longer than 3 minutes because they forget why they're out there.

Stand outside with her for 3 minutes, if no toilet, come back in - straight back out when you see any sign she's about to go (look for circling, walking funny, sniffing etc).

If she's already been and you put her outside, you can still wait to see if there's anymore... but again, no longer than 3 minutes (though maybe not even that long - see what seems natural).

Good luck, sounds like she's doing really well!

Thanks Lotti :)

That's exactly what I needed. I'd been thinking I should stay out there until she did perform, 3 minutes makes more sense! Sometimes, she's come in and wee'd straight away. So do I repeat the 3 minute routine straight away and then clear the mess afterwards out of sight? It''s been 14 years since I last toilet trained a pup!!

Also whining, just ignore? She only ever does it for 10-20 minutes when left in her crate. So far I've ignored and returned when she's quiet or not until morning at bedtime.

Is it too early to start basic obedience (treat based) training?

And...(I'm sorry I just want to give her the best start). When and if I should start puppy classes with her when she's inoculated?

All good questions don't worry :)

Firstly, if she's crate trained, does she ever toilet in her crate? If not and she doesn't perform in the first 3 minutes, then bring her in and put her back in the crate for a few minutes, then take her back out for another 3 minutes. This prevents the mishap happening anywhere else.

If you don't put her in the crate, watch her like a hawk and the moment she so much as looks at the floor, scoop her up and put her outside (you've only had her a few days but you'll get better at noticing her signs, it took me a while with this pup as she's so different to my last!).

If she does go in the house, yes repeat the 3 minute thing and try to clear up when she's not looking so she doesn't realise it's getting any attention.

Make sure when she does go outside that she gets plenty of praise and a treat for doing it.

It's certainly not too early to start training her. At this stage I would be teaching her her name, a bit of recall, to give you her attention, and catching and rewarding unsolicited sits and downs. Very basic stuff to begin with a make it really fun.

Certainly look into puppy classes when she's had her jabs. Look for a class that uses positive reinforcement and doesn't force any dogs (particularly young puppies) to continue training if they get fed up. Feel free to email me about my courses as well. Training for her should be fun and enjoyable, at such an early age a full hour will be tiring for her but the class you attend should allow you to take her out and have a wander with her to break it up a little or even to take her crate for her to rest in or pop her in the car while you listen to the rest and she has a little sleep!

She is crate trained, she has used the newspaper once in her crate but I'd rather it didn't become a habit and she seems to prefer to wee anywhere or poo in corners. We've not had a poo accident since yesterday and that was due to my inattention. I've got plenty of time and motivation to just follow her around and watch carefully, she does tend to circle a little and sniff with a purpose when she's looking to go. I've been praising her lots when she does it right and treating her as we get back in; but maybe I'll take the treats out with me for a more instant reward?

I've been doing the sit treat and I think that's sinking in and the name treat. I'm looking forward to classes if I can find classes that suit my family commitments. I will only do positive reward training, she's to cute to punish! :hihi:

Yes, do make sure you reward while she's outside. Dogs actually need rewarding for something within about 2 seconds (preferably less when pups!) of the behaviour you are rewarding and whilst your praise will act as a bridge, rewarding her inside can confuse the distinction between inside and out. So get a little tub of treats near the door that you can grab as you run out with her :lol:

Good luck finding a class and it'll be interesting to hear how she progresses! It sounds like she and yourself are doing really well!

I didn't think of the confusion, excellent advice. Thank you. I'm going on a search for a pocket sized treat tub :hihi: