How to increase web traffic?

Unfortunately the site design and some basic things missing from it would not make me want to order from it, so before you look at trying to increase traffic, look at your website and consider what elements could be improved to increase the trust factor.

It is no good increasing traffic that will not convert to customers. Conversion is king as far as websites are concerned.

I agree with Sandra...site looks cheap which would suggest the garments are likely to be cheap too (although I'm sure they are not); also doesn't help that the email contact is john@... :)

Plus any subject which involves 'sexy' (trying to be polite as this is a public forum :)) is very very competitive for space on Google...you really would need the help of a professional web design and SEO company.

Despite this, good luck (and fun :)) with the venture.

It's the difference betwen looking or bordering on looking 'seedy' and classy. It really depends which of those markets you are appealing to, and either is OK as both have a demand as Steve says, sexy-related products (to stay polite too!) are big business on the internet....for those who can afford to rank high, and so is clothing and accessories. You have your work cut out in this industry anyway, but getting a look in will require you to get your site up to speed to have any decent chance of making sales.

I agree with the other points, also the "copyright 2007 - 2008 YourShop" really looks unprofessional. Get a better e-commerce site as that one looks tacky.

Think of a website as your shop front, you wouldn't have a tacky sign, dirty windows and a banner that says "your sign here" so you shouldn't do it with a website.

I wish you luck, but you need to improve the site. There's no point in attracting extra traffic if the visitors are turned off by the site.

I agree with others that the website need improving as it looks a little bit like you are playing at it at the moment. It needs to look more proffessional and more expensive so it impoves peoples image of your range. You could try blogging and having a facebook group with a link to it aswell. You can get friends to invite their friends to your group as well.

There are loads of ways to increase web traffic, some free, others for a small fee that you can build in. For your type of site I would look at placing banners on womens magazine websites nationally as it is not necessarily something that people require locally.

Do you hold the stock or do you pass on the orders to a third party?

If you hold the stock then I have some great news in that most new ecommerce packages have the ability to show live stock levels. The one I mainly use is going to be available in this way from April 2010. I like this facility as you dont have to spend valuable time contacting customers to tell them it is not available and arrange alternatives or cancellations.

Its amazing the amount of black pink and purple frilly knickers we are sending out from one of the clothing sites so you should do very well. You do need to have a unique selling point to stand out maybe have an embroidered Rose or Heart sewn on.

Most decent ecommerce software has the 'show stock' option nowadays, in fact you can get some great bells and whistles that reduce Admin time and faff time, as I like to call it!

It looks like you've done some work on the website, it still needs a bit more work, but it's much improved.

seo & paid advertising are the main ways to drive traffic to a website. you can also set up pages on social networks, like facebook & twitter. get listed in relevant and/or popular directories, and post on relevant web forums (dont spam, follow the rules).

you could also think about adding some social features to your website, to improve the interactivity & give the site a more personal touch. you could have a customer forum, or a blog. having lots of regularly updated relevant content on your site helps with seo too.

google analytics is very good for showing how much traffic your site is getting, where its coming from & where they go on your site. it provides a lot of useful information you can use to improve your marketing.

you can also try getting listed on google product search: http://www.google.co.uk/intl/en_uk/products/submit.html and their local business center: http://www.google.com/local/add/

Edited by anywebsite

A big improvement, although the menu bars are not consistent from page to page and your currency icons are located within the left hand menu side bar.

On the home page, why not have some scrolling images, rather than a simple static image.

Also the email address (black) is hidden within the background...why not have it in red (suggests naughtiness:hihi:)

There is plenty you need to do on the SEO side of the site...but would take too long to explain on the forum...try buying 'SEO for Dummies' it will explain all.

1. Creating content that is helpful and useful.

2. Outsource article writing.

3. Add fresh content every few days if possible; at a minimum, weekly.

4. Improve your search engine ranking by focusing your content on keywords related to your topic.

I would recommend making a blog from your content you can add plug-ins that will do auto SEO from the content that is added you can add a shopping system as well - its also very easy to add new content via CMS.

Best of all its all free. http://wordpress.org/