Historical Project Help Needed Please on The Mill / Joseph Glover Pub

Listed Building status has today been refused for this building. Consequently it will be demolished very soon.

Any links for this?

Any links for this?

No, but discussed at tonight's AGM of the Hallamshire Historical Building Society.

I would be gutted and surprised if Glovers Mill was to be demolished. I met someone a few months ago worked in the council's planning dept and he assured me that demolition was not on the cards. Can anyone tell me why listing was refused?

The joseph glover (The Mill) is being demolished as we speak :o:mad::confused: What a shame. It was a landmark. Everyone knew the Mill. They are building flats on the land i believe. So sad.

This property was bought by a local drugs baron. The sign next to Glover's Mill advertises his 'legit' business. He's making a fortune and destroying our heritage at the same time.

Crime clearly pays...

I used to live in this pub I grew up in it I am devastated its gone!! Such a shame lots of happy memories in that gorgeous building!! :(

such a shame i had a friend lived there we used to go up to his room and play sega mega drive happy days.

I worked in the Mill for about 3 Months in 1960. Have you any questions. Alan

I started work at the Killamarsh Mill in 1967 at that time the one at halfway called Knowel Hill mill was being used for storage of flour that was milled in Killamarsh. The only other thing it did was to polish pidgeon corn , i was told it was so that the pidgeons would eat the corn i assume it was true , was it still making flour when you worked there ?.

It is along time ago but I will tell you what I remember.

There was a milling machine, it would have been making some sort of flour, I don't think it was for human consumption. We polished pigeon feed, possibly it made them fly faster. There was a machine which rolled oats with flapping leather belts. We mixed the different grains to different recipes for cattle. WE use flaked maize which was bought in, that was just like cornflake and came in huge 1cwt bags which were as big as me, also cotton seed pods which can in different size bags ; between 12stone and 24stone, that's about 75Kg th150Kg we didn't pick them up would stack the two high by lifting then shoulder hight with the hoist and carrying then to the stack, today bags are limited to 25Kg.

A old guy called Mark Kimpton worked the grinder, The others I remember were Stuart Grove and may be an Adam, he had a Rolls Royce; I believe he died very young.

Alan