Relocation relocation relocation!

I was wondering if anyone can help me. I have got a new job in Sheffield and i am looking to relocate from Lancaster. There is a little urgency as my new job want me to have a hand over from the previous employee. As i will be on a 12 month contract i am only looking to rent. I have looked at the other threads concerning relocation and everyone seems to be asking about specific areas of Sheffield. I have no idea about how the city and suburbs are split up.

At the moment i live in my own flat with my cat. I am keen to have a little outdoors space but understand that i may have to compromise. I am mid twenties but not that bothered about having a pub close by (not a fan of sitting on my own propping up the bar!). I like to have a newsagents for that emergency pint of milk etc though somewhere near by. My new job is based on Longley Lane but i will be travelling all over so i am not sure whether i am too bothered about being really close to L. Lane. I drive and am looking for a relatively quite area. Somewhere that i can wander out in the evening (pub/park where ever) and not be worried about getting jumped. I am sure that seems quite a lot but i am pretty flexible. Can anyone let me know what sort of areas might be suitable and absolutely ANY info/advice for setting up in Sheffield would also be greatly received.

Thanks

I lived in woodseats for a while and found that to be a decent area there were 3 large main supermarkets with in 5 mins drive,

several parks and the peak district where again 5 -10 mins drive.

Town centre 5-10 mins drive

several buses on the woodseats route

15-20 mins and your at the motorway either parkway junction or through chesterfield J29

Although its the other side to longley maybe try hillsborough its like woodseats but the other side of the city near longley same shops pubs transport links etc both areas have lots of terraced houses to rent for around £500 hope this helps good luck

The wider Hillborough (S6) area would be a good choice as fairly close to Longley Lane. There is a park/leisure centre/excellent football ground(!) and plenty of pubs and restaurants to walk to. The centre of Hillsborough is very busy but there are plenty of quieter areas a few minutes away from the centre. Walkey would also be worth considering, not as easily accessible as Hillborough by probably quieter and again parks/pubs/restaurants to walk to. Further afield you might consider Ecclesfield, Loxley or Stannington which are further out but all have fairly easy access to Longley Lane. The latter two are on the edge of the countryside so less of a suburban feel if that's what you're after.

I wouldn't recommend considering anywhere too close to Longley Lane as its not the safest area of Sheffield.

Thanks for both your comments. It is really useful to know. I think i will look at hillsborough and i have seen a couple of places a little further out.

I'd put Crookes, Walkley, and Hillsborough in that order of preference.

I'd say Hillsborough would be ideal for you really as a start. People tend to think of S11, S10 and then S6 as the nicest areas of the city where most younger professionals are. I'd say mostly it is S6 where these people can afford to buy. S6 would be easier for you to get to work IMO.

BTW Sheffield is on google street view so you can see for yourself what the areas are like.

Not very close to Longley Lane though. Driving through town at rush hour would make that almost a hours drive.

As others have said S6 is a good place to start and then the surrounding areas such as Grenoside, Oughtibridge, Wharncliffe. The north side of Sheffield also tends to be cheaper for rents/purchasing.

We live in Foxhill which is S6 but one of the cheaper parts with a good mix of social/council housing as well as private homes ranging from small flats to large detached housing all of which are in close proximity (the top of our road for example) to open countryside but still relatively close (10 minutes drive) to the city centre.

Hi

We are in Sharrow, its a lovely round here, have a fantastic street everyone is friendly.

We are a 3 girls who live together in a shared house in Sharrow, we all work full time, enjoy cooking and chilling. We have a large room available with on-suite bathroom.

£290 a month includes council tax, however, all other bills are shared.