Frecheville school 56-65

Yep, She was in the nursing home that my Mother-in Law is in at Killamarsh - perhaps it is for 'evil' people only!!!!!

I always found it amazing that Miss Green could spot someone doing something wrong at 300 yards away.

We were convinced she had eyes in her Backside! she once caught me and a friend sharing a ciggy in the toilets - she was not there when we went in - no door were heard to open - yet there she was - witch?

Just discovered this site and noticed my name a few times, my name is

DAVID McCORMICK

I was at Frecheville from 1962 to 1968. I remember Slater in Science, Mrs Greene and a host of other people. I have just retired after a career in international pharmaceutical research ( not bad for a 11 plus failure, I ended up with a PhD in Chemistry). Check me out on Linkedin or [email protected]

Regarding scouts. My uncle is Gordon Duncan and was the troop leader between 1961 and 1963. 221 frecheville.

anybody remember the old scout hut down linley lane. i lived in sommercotes road. went to school with people like alan cundy,eilleen bailey the emery twins

richard benson,john hiberd,alan &micheal barber.saturday night band at the scout hut.saturday matenee@the rex.oh happy days!!

hi im alan barber brother of michael knew john hiberd ,do you remember dennis seeds

I.was fretchville scout in the mid 50s. The leader then was Louis McNamara and the seconder was a chap called Alan. Can anyone tell me if the hut we built off Lindley ave is still there?

He used to play the piano in a pub on Hollinsend Rd, perhaps the Hollin Bush. He was an alcoholic, my grandfather marked his card good style after he had swung my cousin around the classroom by her hair. By the way, I think that his name was Bastick.

I remember Mr Bastic the ear tugger. I was at Frecheville 1953/1956.

There was a Miss Jones, English and RE teacher. We used to call her chapel hat peg because she was like Popeye's partner Olive oil. Straight up and down. She always told me I would never make anything of myself.

Miss Green told me I would go far. I did, Hong Kong in the RAF as a pilot.

Remember the Bennets, Mr Slater, Lancaster, dizzy Dyson, Mallinder,

and Mr Sharpe. All in all I enjoyed my time at Frecheville.

---------- Post added 04-11-2016 at 18:08 ----------

Does anyone remember Mr Basted music teacher looked like

a skinny owl with wire glasses and a picture of The Laughing

Cavalier in the class room,his name suited him.?he may have left

as i was there 53/4.

I was there 1953/1956 and remember him well. He use to smoke Condor thick twist backy in a broken clay pipe. The Cavalier portrait above the black board stared at you where ever you sat. Was still there when I left in 1956.

On 23/01/2010 at 12:05, BrianW said:

I was in the cubs on Linley lane; once we had paid our subs I had a penny or so to spend in the tuck-shop, I remember the pink shrimps sweets as my favorite. We would also go down to the red rocks to play.

I was occasionally invited to Alan Cundy's house to watch "Four Feather Falls" or something similar. Also remember the Emery twins, I could never tell the difference; also did a paper round for Mrs Emery for many years.

Do you remember the "Tarren Hut" which I think must have been a large half domed roofed Anderson shelter, it was on Birley Moor road past the co-op; it was used by the Brownies? Also the Nursery school that I went to between the Co-Op and the Tarren hut, I remember dancing around the May Pole there? Both were demolished in the 60's to make way for new houses.

On 26/01/2010 at 08:32, BrianW said:

Hello Bucknut,

I remember a young lady who ran the cubs, but I remember her only as "Akela". She had family who must have lived around Alport Drive/Place; for a memory type badge I had to remember something then go to this home and repeat it. The cubs gave me my first taste of outdoor life when they organised an overnight tented camp behind the scout hut; I remember that we all turned up with thick blankets to sleep in. But Neil Higgins was definitely the greatest collector of badges, I remember that he had an arm full.

I don't remember ever referring to a top or a bottom side of Frecheville. Birley Moor Road was refered to as the Main Road, as I lived on Churchdale Road the scout hut was refered to as "the other side" of the Main Road. The main reason for going over the other side was cubs and red rocks on Linley Lane, a small shop around Normanton Spring Road who would sell bangers even if you were under age, I think that it was on Youlgreave Drive where the water balif for the pond lived and we had to get our licence from there, and the cricket club on Silkstone Road.

Well, blow me down, I'm finally famous on the internet and for what? Having an armful of cub badges. Could have been remembered for worse I suppose. Hi Brian,  how are you ten years after you posted your reminiscence? I have only just come across this site after searching for Tarren Hut.

2 minutes ago, Neil H said:

Well, blow me down, I'm finally famous on the internet and for what? Having an armful of cub badges. Could have been remembered for worse I suppose. Hi Brian,  how are you ten years after you posted your reminiscence? I have only just come across this site after searching for Tarren Hut.

By the way I have some photos of the maypole dancing the nursery next to the co-op. Boy those were the days.

Hello Neil, I have just sent you a private message 😀

Hi went to frechville school from 55to Christmas 58   Teachers   Miss green   Mr sharp  maths   Mr slater and mister Lancaster science  mr priyor  also English  mr woolly  history  mr lalinder  geography  mr dyson woodwork  mr stenton games head master mr bennet and his wife art they had a class at the community centre for about two years teacher miss wilorby  caretaker mr reeves there was a  teacher that came in 58 who I was told had been a football player for a Sheffield team did not like him bully mr slater also took gardening  mates Rex Lloyd  David platts  Roy hempsall Edlly ward  Paul reeves Stefan Croft Paul smith and lots of others girls also mates Glenda Shelton Susan Clayton  margret marries jean Taylor Ann Jonson Helen woodcock   Girl friend  Linda Clarke her mate was also a mate of mine Lorain Clarke  some good times at school  but not great at it.

1 hour ago, Slinny said:

Hi went to frechville school from 55to Christmas 58   Teachers   Miss green   Mr sharp  maths   Mr slater and mister Lancaster science  mr priyor  also English  mr woolly  history  mr lalinder  geography  mr dyson woodwork  mr stenton games head master mr bennet and his wife art they had a class at the community centre for about two years teacher miss wilorby  caretaker mr reeves there was a  teacher that came in 58 who I was told had been a football player for a Sheffield team did not like him bully mr slater also took gardening  mates Rex Lloyd  David platts  Roy hempsall Edlly ward  Paul reeves Stefan Croft Paul smith and lots of others girls also mates Glenda Shelton Susan Clayton  margret marries jean Taylor Ann Jonson Helen woodcock   Girl friend  Linda Clarke her mate was also a mate of mine Lorain Clarke  some good times at school  but not great at it.

good un Graham .I know a few of those mentioned ,    was Roy Hempsall a cyclist I seem to remember a lad of that name in Sheffield Phoenix cycling club that met in the Royal Oak on Cemetery Road .