Frecheville school 56-65

anybody remember the old scout hut down linley lane. i lived in sommercotes road. went to school with people like alan cundy,eilleen bailey the emery twins

richard benson,john hiberd,alan &micheal barber.saturday night band at the scout hut.saturday matenee@the rex.oh happy days!!

I was in the cubs on Linley lane; once we had paid our subs I had a penny or so to spend in the tuck-shop, I remember the pink shrimps sweets as my favorite. We would also go down to the red rocks to play.

I was occasionally invited to Alan Cundy's house to watch "Four Feather Falls" or something similar. Also remember the Emery twins, I could never tell the difference; also did a paper round for Mrs Emery for many years.

Do you remember the "Tarren Hut" which I think must have been a large half domed roofed Anderson shelter, it was on Birley Moor road past the co-op; it was used by the Brownies? Also the Nursery school that I went to between the Co-Op and the Tarren hut, I remember dancing around the May Pole there? Both were demolished in the 60's to make way for new houses.

hi brian, those were the days,sumers that lasted for months!! the lady who ran the cubs was called mrs hudson we lived next door but one, the kids were called norman and jean. Ialso remember micheal &john emery,I did my papers for Jacks at intake turminus. Did you live "topside" or "bottomside" of frecheville? My dad worked for henry boots at the estates office o0n the corner of Birleymoor rd & hopefield ave.

awww lovley jack from jacks arcade at intake ...he sarved me my dandy every week bless him ...

I went to school with a Linda Cundy (can't remember whether that was Frecheville Infants or Frecheville junior.

Which school are you referring to?

I went to frecheville school 59 to 64 and can remember some of the teachers ,mrs green (headmistress i think )mr waring (maths,who caned me on several occassions)mr aspinall who i think was the english teacher,and very smart with it,and can anyone remember the grumpy old sod who took tech drawing, he stooped and used a walking as an aide and sometimes as a weapon !!!!

hi folks, cant recall a linda cundy, but alan cundy(must be related) was in my class. spoted alan on friends re-united last year think he,s in devon somewhere.can anyone remember mr murton(basegreen junior)got caned off him twice,also PE teacher at frecheville senior,the guy with size16 slipper and no sense of humor oouuuch!.

all in all,happy days. I,m also looking for a cople of old pals Jef Shilitoe, lived in alport drive,i think he mrried a carol who worked in the little supermarket in alport drive last i heard he moved to woodhouse? The other guy is called david McCormick,lived on hackenthorpe,went to frecheville school and was cross country champ. last time i saw him he was working for huntingdon reserch in early70s I moved away from frecheville dec.65 so the memory is a bit foggy.glad i found this site though!!

I went to frecheville school 59 to 64 and can remember some of the teachers ,mrs green (headmistress i think )mr waring (maths,who caned me on several occassions)mr aspinall who i think was the english teacher,and very smart with it,and can anyone remember the grumpy old sod who took tech drawing, he stooped and used a walking as an aide and sometimes as a weapon !!!!

Would that be Mr Sharpe who also taught maths?

Would that be Mr Sharpe who also taught maths?

yes it was mr sharpe,and can you remember the guy who taught his lessons while smoking, he hid one arm behind the cupboard at the back of the class and thought no one knew.

yes it was mr sharpe,and can you remember the guy who taught his lessons while smoking, he hid one arm behind the cupboard at the back of the class and thought no one knew.

Can't recall the smoker, although I bet most of the staff smoked in those days! Apart from Mr Sharp who taught maths some of the other teachers from 57 to 61 were:- Mr Bennett (Head), his wife (Art), Miss Green (Deputy Head), Mr Stenton (PE), Mr Mallinder (Geog), Mr Slater(Science/Gardening), Mr Lancaster (?), Mr Dyson (Woodwork), Mr Prior (English) and Mr Peters(?).

There was also a young woman teacher who taught music, a youngish male science teacher and a cracker of young woman who taught art & craft in from 1960 onwards. Can't remember their names. Only took metalwork for the last year at school because the new craft block and science labs, which were built on the playground, were only finished in 1960. From the names listed above you can perhaps identify the smoker.

Hello Bucknut,

I remember a young lady who ran the cubs, but I remember her only as "Akela". She had family who must have lived around Alport Drive/Place; for a memory type badge I had to remember something then go to this home and repeat it. The cubs gave me my first taste of outdoor life when they organised an overnight tented camp behind the scout hut; I remember that we all turned up with thick blankets to sleep in. But Neil Higgins was definitely the greatest collector of badges, I remember that he had an arm full.

I don't remember ever referring to a top or a bottom side of Frecheville. Birley Moor Road was refered to as the Main Road, as I lived on Churchdale Road the scout hut was refered to as "the other side" of the Main Road. The main reason for going over the other side was cubs and red rocks on Linley Lane, a small shop around Normanton Spring Road who would sell bangers even if you were under age, I think that it was on Youlgreave Drive where the water balif for the pond lived and we had to get our licence from there, and the cricket club on Silkstone Road.

The Cundy familly lived just up from me on Churchdale Road. Mrs Cundy was always very nice to me, Mr Cundy always seemed to have a black face when he returned from work (which might be typical of Sheffield workers). They lived opposite to the Humpleby family (they must have been well off in those times as Mr Humpleby owned a motorcycle & sidecar, I remember him telling me that he had 2 engines, 1 for the summer and 1 for the winter)

They had 4 children; older than me were Anne and Alan; younger than me were Lynda and David.

All were involved with the nearby Methodist Church. I can remember helping to set up the jumble sales and decorating the lorry used at the Carnival.

I also remember Mr Murton from Basegreen junior. His daughter joined my class in the last year for the 11+. There was definitely no messing around when Mr Murton was around.