True Sheffielder's, don't donate to charity..

Oh the irony, your shouting from the rooftops about how descretion is a virtue :roll:

True Sheffielder's, don't donate to charity and brag about it!

Here is an old Sheffield saying for you. "Give to them that need it, but say nowt to other folk. Telling other folk, means you want summat back!"

This is a saying that I heard many times in my childhood from my Grandparents and Great Aunt's and Uncle's during their discussions around the dinner table about the bombings in the 2nd World War.

Many true Sheffielder's will have heard this saying in the past. The wording may vary from family to family, but the point remains the same.

I bring this up because I have noticed several posters declaring how much money they have donated to charity. The Haiti cause is the most recent, and a worthy cause without a doubt.

It seems that nowadays, too many people/companies give to charity for their own means.

Many wealthy people brag about how much they donate, to prove their wealth, in the same way they brag about how much they paid for their new designer kitchen.

Many companies brag about how much they donate, to gain publicity and increase their profile.

No need for a lengthy thread. Just a need to point out the true nature of giving to those in need, from our wise elders.

viney. :)

im a true sheffielder, i dont give to charity,, and im quite happy to brag about it,, oops have i read it right :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Would they give us the same amount if we had an earthquake in England ?

That should be in the i`m bored section.

I won't be donating to Haiti as I don't actually care

The sickest post I've ever read on here I think, I think you'd care if you were there and saw the kids crying for their parents who're never coming back, a quarter of a million people could have died and you don't care?

Well that's nice of you.

After all, it's only a couple of million people sleeping on the streets because their houses and belongings have been destroyed.

The sickest post I've ever read on here I think, I think you'd care if you were there and saw the kids crying for their parents who're never coming back, a quarter of a million people could have died and you don't care?

Well that's nice of you.

After all, it's only a couple of million people sleeping on the streets because their houses and belongings have been destroyed.

Jeez.. there's some sick people on here! Sorry to jump onto your page here rich but I couldn't find the idiot you were responding to.(may have been wiped 'off'- but not 'out' like the 200,000 in Haiti) I'm so disgusted with some of the posters on here and they should be ashamed of themselves (they know who they are) I'm in total agreement with you like any decent person would be

You are all having a go at each other and what it boils down too is ,if you want too you will if you don`t want too you wont,and it is no one elses business what you do.