True Sheffielder's, don't donate to charity..

Shame you won't be able to read this Gordon as you'll undoubtedly have sold your laptop along with your TV and car. Oh! ... unless you're the hypocrite! How much do you think you should give to not become a hypocrite? ... is there a set limit of hypocriteness (sp..intentionally) To some people a fiver is a lot of money especially if they contribute to more than one charity. Shame on you! (I don't normally do serious stuff but your comment is so peurile!) :loopy:

You fell into my trap, Junior! I'm not a hypocrite because I'm not pretending to care just to make myself look better in the eyes of others.

Now why not run along to the I'm bored section to do your hilarious and not at all puerile Area 51 and a bit routine? :loopy:

You fell into my trap, Junior! I'm not a hypocrite because I'm not pretending to care just to make myself look better in the eyes of others.

Now why not run along to the I'm bored section to do your hilarious and not at all puerile Area 51 and a bit routine? :loopy:

Oh ..you're setting traps are you ? Just like your namesake who set up the gutter press! My posts and comments are normally puerile as I hope I can put a smile on peoples faces but I do have a serious side. I will not denigrate someone for the amount of money they give to charity like you. The point is they want to give. Maybe you should be in charge of charities and set up the minimum donation rule maybe with a death penalty for small donations :loopy:

I see perfectly what the OP is getting at. It's nice to know that there are others who question people's motives for giving to charity and see the bigger picture.

Of course, anyone who feels strongly about a charity and just thinks sticking a fiver in a collecting tin is "doing their bit" is an absolute hypocrite.

Take the Haiti business for example. If people really cared about those affected, they'd be doing something far more radical than just donating a few quid. Would they offer to fly a few homeless Haiti families into the UK and let them stay in their homes till they can return to the disaster area? Or would they sell their laptops, TVs and cars to aid those who have no worldly goods at all? Of course not. Giving to charity is just about appeasing the conscience of the giver.

If there was ever a donation system for stupidity, you'd be doing very well right now :)

Edited by Agent Orange

I see perfectly what the OP is getting at. It's nice to know that there are others who question people's motives for giving to charity and see the bigger picture.

Of course, anyone who feels strongly about a charity and just thinks sticking a fiver in a collecting tin is "doing their bit" is an absolute hypocrite.

Take the Haiti business for example. If people really cared about those affected, they'd be doing something far more radical than just donating a few quid. Would they offer to fly a few homeless Haiti families into the UK and let them stay in their homes till they can return to the disaster area? Or would they sell their laptops, TVs and cars to aid those who have no worldly goods at all? Of course not. Giving to charity is just about appeasing the conscience of the giver.

You know what? Why not just stick your fiver in the tin and keep your gob shut. Nobody else cares that you're not an absolute hypocrite, they are just feeling happy that they have "done their bit".

Out of interest, have you put your fiver in yet? Maybe you've sold your telly? Maybe you've done neither but you're feeling happy that you've "done your bit" by proving your not a hypocrite? I'm sure that thousands of Hiatians are happy that they are dead and that you can feel a bit smug.

I can't weigh you up on this one, you're usually one of the smart people. :huh:

You know what? Why not just stick your fiver in the tin and keep your gob shut. Nobody else cares that you're not an absolute hypocrite, they are just feeling happy that they have "done their bit".

Out of interest, have you put your fiver in yet? Maybe you've sold your telly? Maybe you've done neither but you're feeling happy that you've "done your bit" by proving your not a hypocrite? I'm sure that thousands of Hiatians are happy that they are dead and that you can feel a bit smug.

I agree with all of this - apart from the last line.

It doesn't matter whether you are a Sheffielder or Not!! It all depends on whether you a caring, kind, generous person with a Heart!

HAITI, The Day the Earth Shook

The day starts just like any other,

But within seconds you feel a shudder.

The ground shakes, walls begin to crack,

You feel vibration and you start to fall back.

Panic sets in, you scream and shout,

Calling for help but there’s no-one about.

The building crumbles, objects fall from high,

You hope and pray that you aren’t going to die.

Bricks, broken glass and mortar dust in the air,

People escaping, seeking safety anywhere.

Like a roar of thunder the unexpected quake

Suddenly goes all quiet and stops to shake.

Leaving behind buildings crashed to the ground,

Trapped, injured survivors, desperate to be found.

But thousands that day were out of luck

When the terrible earthquake in Haiti struck.

Unknowingly, life suddenly comes to an end,

For families, neighbours and life long friends.

Survivors with crushed bodies, broken bones,

No where to live, no more homes.

What future do they have to look forward too?

It all depends on people like me and you!

I agree with all of this - apart from the last line.

:D:D

As for the op...:huh:wasn't it your intention to attract attention to the self righteousness of yourself? Talk about kick yourself in the foot. :hihi:

Telling others that you have donated may remind them that they should donate or shame them into donating, it doesn't matter about their motives involved it all money in the end. They may tell others and the cycle continues.

BTW I donate to St Lukes and also bought a bun for Haiti at work yesterday. My company is also matching any money raised by the employees :)

Okay then I'll spell it out for you.

The people in Haiti have no food, no homes, no possessions.

You have a comfortable large house, lots of expensive goods like TVs and laptops, nice clothes, all the food you could eat.

If that inequality bothers you that much, why do you think just sticking a few quid in a collecting tin redresses the balance and makes it all right? Don't you feel guilty at how wealthy you are compared to people in poor countries?

Telling others that you have donated may remind them that they should donate or shame them into donating, it doesn't matter about their motives involved it all money in the end. They may tell others and the cycle continues.

BTW I donate to St Lukes and also bought a bun for Haiti at work yesterday. My company is also matching any money raised by the employees :)

You're obviously not a dyed in the wool Sheffield hick...or you wouldn't have told us that..:hihi:

Okay then I'll spell it out for you.

The people in Haiti have no food, no homes, no possessions.

You have a comfortable large house, lots of expensive goods like TVs and laptops, nice clothes, all the food you could eat.

If that inequality bothers you that much, why do you think just sticking a few quid in a collecting tin redresses the balance and makes it all right? Don't you feel guilty at how wealthy you are compared to people in poor countries?

Oh boy...but they do have what you and I have, maybe not same for same but they do have what we all have. It's just at this present time (bare with me if you can get your head around this ok?) it's a natural disaster that the people of the world are taking part in...some children with their dinner money, or governments donating millions it really doesn't matter...it's the impact your £ has on the ground. You may argue that only a percentage of your £ only gets to ground zero....well I'll tell you for one, I don't give a 5hit as long as something gets there. I didn't do a cost analysis when i hand over a quid. Yeeesh!

GB, with the greatest of respect you really are coming over as a tit. Then again I don't believe you believe yourself..it's more about thread effect i think.