True Sheffielder's, don't donate to charity..

I will give to the Haiti fund (haven't got round to it yet), just as I gave to the Tsunami fund.

I wouldn't tell anyone, unless someone asked, because I would feel as if I was bragging. I would be doing it for the charity's sake, and also to make me feel good - what's wrong with that? and I certainly won't be bragging about HOW MUCH!

True Sheffielder's, don't donate to charity and brag about it!

Here is an old Sheffield saying for you. "Give to them that need it, but say nowt to other folk. Telling other folk, means you want summat back!"

This is a saying that I heard many times in my childhood from my Grandparents and Great Aunt's and Uncle's during their discussions around the dinner table about the bombings in the 2nd World War.

Many true Sheffielder's will have heard this saying in the past. The wording may vary from family to family, but the point remains the same.

I bring this up because I have noticed several posters declaring how much money they have donated to charity. The Haiti cause is the most recent, and a worthy cause without a doubt.

It seems that nowadays, too many people/companies give to charity for their own means.

Many wealthy people brag about how much they donate, to prove their wealth, in the same way they brag about how much they paid for their new designer kitchen.

Many companies brag about how much they donate, to gain publicity and increase their profile.

No need for a lengthy thread. Just a need to point out the true nature of giving to those in need, from our wise elders.

viney. :)

Oh come on viney, either you're trolling or missing the point again.

You speak of "Sheffielders" as if they are a once majestic biological offshoot of the human race that has somehow been sullied by recent inbreeding with inferiors from far off packs and tribes.

T'was ever thus. Folk in Sheffield are no different. People and firms naturally enjoy recognition for generosity and always have done. The evidence is all around you in the form of things like Jessop's Hospital, the Graves Art Gallery, Weston Park, Furness Court, hundreds of Sheffield street names, etc, etc.

At the more modest end of the scale everyone loves to be able to tell a good story about themselves whether it is for the company newsletter, to feel good about helping the kiddies charity where their baby was helped or even the beneficiary encouraging people to donate by telling us how utterly fabulous their funders are.

And of course, let's not forget that good deeds begat further good deeds.

Back under the bridge old chap, you've had your fun ;)

Which surprises me, as you certainly appear to be...

Pathetic

so someone doesn't agree with what you think so you resort to name calling? well done!

Oh come on viney, either you're trolling or missing the point again.

You speak of "Sheffielders" as if they are a once majestic biological offshoot of the human race that has somehow been sullied by recent inbreeding with inferiors from far off packs and tribes.

T'was ever thus. Folk in Sheffield are no different. People and firms naturally enjoy recognition for generosity and always have done. The evidence is all around you in the form of things like Jessop's Hospital, the Graves Art Gallery, Weston Park, Furness Court, hundreds of Sheffield street names, etc, etc.

At the more modest end of the scale everyone loves to be able to tell a good story about themselves whether it is for the company newsletter, to feel good about helping the kiddies charity where their baby was helped or even the beneficiary encouraging people to donate by telling us how utterly fabulous their funders are.

And of course, let's not forget that good deeds begat further good deeds.

Back under the bridge old chap, you've had your fun ;)

Good points, I think we have a tendency to glorify the good old days, forgetting that people and their motivations were just the same and forever will be, I bet there were equal numbers of whingers too ;)

Well I would disagree there. OK some money has to go towards admin and (extortionate,in some cases) salaries BUT toooooooooooo much money donated is "taken up" by this.... IF the majority of donated money went to actually help the "victims" then all well an good...

Was it 1984 when Sir Bob made millions for charity with his hit??? and all the royalties since??? How much effect has it had on Africa??? only slight by what we see in the media.......now was that money wisely spent :rolleyes:

I WILL still carry on donating to my favourite charities...and any disaster that I feel needs it...BUT it dont mean I agree with the "red tape" and excess "admin" charges :rant::rant::rant:

which is why i started the thread asking for advice as to the best way to donate to the earthquake appeal last week.

i also said how much i was going to donate to indicate that a treat for me could mean so much more to somebody who was far more in need that i was.

i also said i via which i gave my donation after a bit of research.

but ive never claimed to be a sheffielder...born and bred midlands! :|

x

I raise money for charity, I could remain quiet about, but where would that get me? I talk about it cos it help raise awareness and helps me raise the funds that are required. The same applies to charities using companies to support their cause, yes it might make the company look good, however, the charity gets the publicity and funds they desperately need.

Is there a competition for which person donates the most? I donated £19530 plus an airdrop (at my own expense I hasten to add) of 500,000 Fray Bentos steak and kidney pies. Do I win a prize? ;) (Blast ...I forgot the gravy!) :gag:

I think 'bragging' about donating can be beneficial in that people tend to copy each other and the more they see that other people are giving the more they might feel inclined to do so.

Is there a competition for which person donates the most? I donated £19530 plus an airdrop (at my own expense I hasten to add) of 500,000 Fray Bentos steak and kidney pies. Do I win a prize? ;)(Blast ...I forgot the gravy!) :gag:
..but I hope not the peas! :hihi:

..but I hope not the peas! :hihi:

Drat!...Drat!...Drat! :gag:

I see perfectly what the OP is getting at. It's nice to know that there are others who question people's motives for giving to charity and see the bigger picture.

Of course, anyone who feels strongly about a charity and just thinks sticking a fiver in a collecting tin is "doing their bit" is an absolute hypocrite.

Take the Haiti business for example. If people really cared about those affected, they'd be doing something far more radical than just donating a few quid. Would they offer to fly a few homeless Haiti families into the UK and let them stay in their homes till they can return to the disaster area? Or would they sell their laptops, TVs and cars to aid those who have no worldly goods at all? Of course not. Giving to charity is just about appeasing the conscience of the giver.

I see perfectly what the OP is getting at. It's nice to know that there are others who question people's motives for giving to charity and see the bigger picture.

Of course, anyone who feels strongly about a charity and just thinks sticking a fiver in a collecting tin is "doing their bit" is an absolute hypocrite.

Take the Haiti business for example. If people really cared about those affected, they'd be doing something far more radical than just donating a few quid. Would they offer to fly a few homeless Haiti families into the UK and let them stay in their homes till they can return to the disaster area? Or would they sell their laptops, TVs and cars to aid those who have no worldly goods at all? Of course not. Giving to charity is just about appeasing the conscience of the giver.

Shame you won't be able to read this Gordon as you'll undoubtedly have sold your laptop along with your TV and car. Oh! ... unless you're the hypocrite! How much do you think you should give to not become a hypocrite? ... is there a set limit of hypocriteness (sp..intentionally) To some people a fiver is a lot of money especially if they contribute to more than one charity. Shame on you! (I don't normally do serious stuff but your comment is so peurile!) :loopy: