True Sheffielder's, don't donate to charity..

I'm not bragging I'm simple fed up of having the event in Haiti thrust down my throat at every available opportunity and being made to feel bad for not donating

No-one expects everyone to donate to everything, it was just your 'I dont care' comment that was a bit shocking. If you really dont care that so many people have died or have become homeless and desperate, then Im glad none of the people I know in real life are like you.

C'mon then Viney, so whats worse, someone that donates to charity and brags about it, or someone that doesnt (damo) and brags about it? I know which one the charities would prefer!

The one that brags about it, but hasn't donated. Starting to get the picture?

Do you mean someone that says they have donated but hasnt, or someone that brags that they actually havent?

Obviously if its the first one thats terrible, but it wasnt one of the options was it?

Id think more highly of someone donating to a charity and telling me, than of someone who tells me they dont care.

Edited by nikki-red

And who is this fictious person ?:suspect:

I prefer to donate to local charities, look after your own.As for the global stuff Gordon Brown deals with that.

You have a point, but sometimes all that's needed is awareness, not pressure. Awareness may come from being told about an aid campaign.

On the other hand, I can't possibly donate to every single worthy cause that comes my way, and I dislike the notion that my decision on which ones to support, might be influenced by which ones shout the loudest. Awareness-raising is a good thing, but can have negative effects.

Quite right, awareness is the key. And right again, too much shouting can have an adverse effect, hence my OP.

In my opinion HeadingNorth, you have posted the most sensible reply so far.

I prefer to donate to local charities, look after your own.As for the global stuff Gordon Brown deals with that.

Would they give us the same amount if we had an earthquake in England ?

my view entirely

Do you mean someone that says they have donated but hasnt, or someone that brags that they actually havent?

Obviously if its the first one thats terrible, but it wasnt one of the options was it?

Id think more highly of someone donating to a charity and telling me, than of someone who tells me they dont care.

No nikki', you just failed to state all the variables.

my view entirely

Dare I say that I donate to Bluebell Wood a kids hospice. That is just to give them some publicity, not to blow my own trumpet.

Thatcher was the worst culprit for 'bragging' about her charitable donations.

Whilst she ****** up the country, by making some of these donations it was as if everything else was alright then, 'ah well so what I've just axed 20,000 steelworkers jobs in Sheffield but 'hey I make donations to charity'.

Oh well, everything's alright then!

Would they give us the same amount if we had an earthquake in England ?

Exactly. This 1960 fella seems to think that England is not part of the Globe.