True Sheffielder's, don't donate to charity..

To be honest, I don't think the desperate people of Haiti will care too hoots whether someone in Sheffield is telling someone else how much they have donated, just that they have donated matters to them.

I used to think that you shouldn't brag about what you donate for lots of reasons and I must admit, donating, or doing a good deed and then keeping that to yourself is a wonderful feeling. However, is that just "smug satisfaction"? and just as bad? The reason I'm in two minds is because, every person who is saying that they have donated, is publicising the cause, and thus raising awareness and encouraging others to donate.

Maybe it depends on the cause. If it's someone who is likely to be embarrassed by accepting help, then you keep it quiet, if it's a major worldwide disaster, then perhaps we should shout about it.

How can smug be smug if no one else Knows about it?

To be fair, their is plenty of puplicity about Haiti. All of us on this forum should donate without shouting about it, unless we crave the attention!

He has a point. I wonder how many people keep it quiet precisely so that they can think to themselves, "I'm better than all those people who brag about their donations." That would - if it happens - be just as bad as people bragging about their donations so that they can claim to be better than people who do not donate.

Perhaps the middle ground is, if asked have you donated to some particular cause, admit that you have done so but refuse to discuss details.

To be fair, their is plenty of puplicity about Haiti. All of us on this forum should donate without shouting about it, unless we crave the attention!

The media telling us to donate is not as powerful as a friend saying the same.

Surely, true Sheffielders would refuse to reply to this thread for fear of being seen as attention-seekers?

On the contrary Headingnorth. They would reply in order to let themselves be known. However, they would not discuss their contributions to charity.

I won't be donating to Haiti as I don't actually care

I won't be donating to Haiti as I don't actually care

Well, I hope that you are never in need of charity then. Charity isn't just about giving money, it is about concern for your fellow creatures. Now dive back into your pit please.

He's just acting the tit again - bit of a shame; I saw a few sensible posts of his recently and had hoped he'd done with this kind of nonsense.

Why do you think that it is nonsense Halibut? I don't post nonsense, and judging by the quality of replies (other than yours), other poster's don't see it as nonsense either. They may not fully agree with my opinions, but they do not resort to calling me a "tit".

C'mon then Viney, so whats worse, someone that donates to charity and brags about it, or someone that doesnt (damo) and brags about it? I know which one the charities would prefer!

C'mon then Viney, so whats worse, someone that donates to charity and brags about it, or someone that doesnt (damo) and brags about it? I know which one the charities would prefer!

I'm not bragging I'm simple fed up of having the event in Haiti thrust down my throat at every available opportunity and being made to feel bad for not donating

The media telling us to donate is not as powerful as a friend saying the same.

Your own free decision to donate is a true measure of your character. Outside pressure is a measure of your weakness to conform.

I'm not bragging I'm simple fed up of having the event in Haiti thrust down my throat at every available opportunity and being made to feel bad for not donating

Damo has a point!

A do as much as i can for charities but i do feel bad for not donating to this, but yet i shouldn't!

we can't do something for everyone! how many charities/disasters like this are there?!!

I think its kind that people donate but people who are not in the position to donate should not feel guilty

Your own free decision to donate is a true measure of your character. Outside pressure is a measure of your weakness to conform.

You have a point, but sometimes all that's needed is awareness, not pressure. Awareness may come from being told about an aid campaign.

On the other hand, I can't possibly donate to every single worthy cause that comes my way, and I dislike the notion that my decision on which ones to support, might be influenced by which ones shout the loudest. Awareness-raising is a good thing, but can have negative effects.