True Sheffielder's, don't donate to charity..

True Sheffielder's, don't donate to charity and brag about it!

Here is an old Sheffield saying for you. "Give to them that need it, but say nowt to other folk. Telling other folk, means you want summat back!"

This is a saying that I heard many times in my childhood from my Grandparents and Great Aunt's and Uncle's during their discussions around the dinner table about the bombings in the 2nd World War.

Many true Sheffielder's will have heard this saying in the past. The wording may vary from family to family, but the point remains the same.

I bring this up because I have noticed several posters declaring how much money they have donated to charity. The Haiti cause is the most recent, and a worthy cause without a doubt.

It seems that nowadays, too many people/companies give to charity for their own means.

Many wealthy people brag about how much they donate, to prove their wealth, in the same way they brag about how much they paid for their new designer kitchen.

Many companies brag about how much they donate, to gain publicity and increase their profile.

No need for a lengthy thread. Just a need to point out the true nature of giving to those in need, from our wise elders.

viney. :)

Just as I thought. No true Sheffielder's here.

Do you ? Donate to charity ? or are you too bashful to tell us ?:hihi:

There are many self-righteous liberal do-gooders though.

:roll:

Do you ? Donate to charity ? or are you too bashful to tell us ?:hihi:

That is my business, Do you?

How do you work that out?? :huh:

That is my business, Do you?

That is my business.

How do you work that out?? :huh:

He's just acting the tit again - bit of a shame; I saw a few sensible posts of his recently and had hoped he'd done with this kind of nonsense.

To be honest, I don't think the desperate people of Haiti will care two hoots whether someone in Sheffield is telling someone else how much they have donated, just that they have donated matters to them.

I used to think that you shouldn't brag about what you donate for lots of reasons and I must admit, donating, or doing a good deed and then keeping that to yourself is a wonderful feeling. However, is that just "smug satisfaction"? and just as bad? The reason I'm in two minds is because, every person who is saying that they have donated, is publicising the cause, and thus raising awareness and encouraging others to donate.

Maybe it depends on the cause. If it's someone who is likely to be embarrassed by accepting help, then you keep it quiet, if it's a major worldwide disaster, then perhaps we should shout about it.

Edited by Darth Vader

There are many self-righteous liberal do-gooders though.

:roll:

"self-righteous, do-gooders". Nail on the head Urien. Why didn't I think of that?

People who do good to make themselves look good, but in reality, aren't really all that good.

A donation is a donation, even if it is bragged about. But talking about it is good, it's spreading the word that you've given money and should hopefully convince others to do the same. I have no complaints with that, and if you do, then maybe you should rethink the real importance of the matter here.

Surely, true Sheffielders would refuse to reply to this thread for fear of being seen as attention-seekers?