Anyone use/used Highfield vets

I'm getting a Chihuahua in 2 weeks time and have started looking round for vets and found Highfield on London road.

They seem really good and quite cheap too so was just wondering if anyone had any reviews of them good or bad

We use Highfields for our cat. One of the reasons was that if you adopt from RSPCA they have some of their jabs there. Plus it is close to where we live. Never had any problems.

Hi there, I've taken my two cats there for their chipping/neutering and again for their annual boosters. Oh and once when a bully cat bit my cat's butt! :rant:

I'm not sure about pricing as that's the only vets I've tried but the staff were very friendly and the vets themselves seemed good. Didn't mind when my shy kitty peed on him :D

I'll continue taking my pets there for sure.

Oh and on a practical note they do have a small free car park just over the road, you can get a token from reception to let you out, so that's pretty handy :)

I have used Highfield vets for over twenty years (they were my family vet as a child). I have had some bad experiences with them and some good ones. I have found that they are very closed off to anything outside of the medical realm e.g. discussions of the raw food diet but for the straight forward things they're brilliant. I really like the small, friendliness of the practise as well, and the fact that they are walking distance from my house.

I will go to Peak for anything more complex though...

been going to highfield for over 25 years,would not use anybody else.

I took my dog there to be castrated, the vet was horrible to him. He called him a wimp when he yelped as they injected him into his spine, rather than the scruff as i've seen them do before, and was generally quite rude. They left his lead in his cage with him so when i collected him he'd chewed it to bits. I took him to another vets to have his stitches out, and cancelled my booking for the cat to be spayed there. We used them all the time for our cat when i was a kid, but I'd never ever go back there again.

my OH took Thirri to be neutered there last week for Plain Talker - OH said that he didn't think the staff were as nice / caring as our usual vet. PT had to call them to see if Thirri was ready for collection, whereas the vet called us when Kinder's op was over to tell us he was OK and then called again to confirm he was ready for collection.

Thirri is our only experience of them tho.

I've been taking Gadget there for about 4yrs and I am very happy with them. They seem very cheap compared to my parent's vet (well, technically parents' dog's vet obviously! :hihi:) but they are down South so I wouldn't be able to compare with another Sheffield vet.

The receptionists are especially friendly and caring and really love animals which is nice.

I took my dog there to be castrated, the vet was horrible to him. He called him a wimp when he yelped as they injected him into his spine...
I think I know who that was - the grumpy man vet! He's a bit abrupt. I much prefer the lady vets there - they are both so much friendlier.

The man was similar with Gadget to what you described... One week Gadget had a V. bad cut on his paw that needed stitches, but he seemed totally oblivious and the vet said "he must have a very high pain threshold"... the next week the vet was a bit rough taking the stitches out (not very rough though, I've experienced much worse at another vet years ago) Gadget yelped and the vet said "he must be a bit of a wimp!" - when he himself had said the opposite the week before! :loopy:

I ask for either of the ladies now because Gadget prefers them ;)

my OH took Thirri to be neutered there last week for Plain Talker - OH said that he didn't think the staff were as nice / caring as our usual vet. PT had to call them to see if Thirri was ready for collection, whereas the vet called us when Kinder's op was over to tell us he was OK and then called again to confirm he was ready for collection.

Thirri is our only experience of them tho.

MM, I've used other vets, which have been better, I've also used vets which were worse. (Hunter's Bar were fabulous) but Highfields is the nearest, and is a fairly accessible one, (which, sadly HB isn't :( ) which was why I plumped for Thiri being doctored there. Trix was spayed there, too.

I have certainly encountered staff at other practices who weren't really helpful/ caring, including a horrible experience at a vet that used to be on Shalesmoor.

I was very grateful to you and Jez, mc, for doing the running about on my behalf with Thiri, whilst I was stuck indoors during the rotten weather. I wanted to get him chopped as soon as possible, and am really happy that laddo is now "done" and sorted.

I think I know who that was - the grumpy man vet! He's a bit abrupt.

He was an old man, it was about 2 years ago. To be honest, he was rather doddery, almost like a parkinsons sufferer, and not really capable of handling our rather large, scared wimp of a german shepherd. I don't know who dragged who down the corridor :(

I've taken cats to Highfields for over a decade for the Shelter and SYAR, but my own animals are registered with our local vet, purely so that I don't have to get across town in the event of an emergency.

We've had good experiences and poor ones as I think you will get with enough history with any vet to be honest. The main reason why the charities use them as their vet is that most vets won't negotiate preferential rates with charities for using up empty operating list times or paying monthly on large bills, but Highfields have always done their best to help out when they can, which is one reason why you see charities there a lot of the time.

He was an old man, it was about 2 years ago. To be honest, he was rather doddery, almost like a parkinsons sufferer, and not really capable of handling our rather large, scared wimp of a german shepherd. I don't know who dragged who down the corridor :(

That sounds like the locum who was there for a few months. I had an awful experience with him as well (if it's the same one) but I didn't really chalk it to Highfields as he was there for such a short time.