Gleadless high school

is there anybody still around that went too gleadless high school on briafield avenue it was run by mrs reynolds who had a daughter who in later years ran a dancing school,from what i remember it had only got one room for all the pupils and we went into mrs reynolds house next door for our dinner my name is jeff keyworth and i left in 1948 or 9 its a long shot but maybe out there there is somebody who may remember the school

Hi jeff

I also went to Gleadless High School and I left in 50/51 and went on to Eckington Grammar, I lived then on Lister Crescent. I have fond memories of GHS and Mrs Reynolds particularly the watery soup which she served up at dinner time and the annual concerts in the church (chapel?) hall on Hollinsend Road. I wanted to play the drum but always ended up with a triangle! Do you recall the magician we had there one year?

I live with my wife in Brittany now and we regularly visit our daughters and grandsons in Worcester and relatives in Sheffield. I went to look at the old place a few years ago and was amazed at it's small size particularly as she taught a range of pupils there from 5 to 11 years.

The only name I can recall from those days is Michael Powell and I have often wondered how my fellow pupils fared over the years. You are the only person to appear in around 60 years. What a stroke of luck!

I would certainly like to mull over old times, Jeff, by phone, skype or email.

Good to hear from you

Brian Cooper

Hi Brian,As you say what a stroke of luck i had forgotter the trips down to the chapel if you want to get in touch forward to hearing from you regards jeff

Edited by jeffk
remove email address

Can anyone remember Terence Booth or Steven Booth? Its a long shot but maybe they went to this school.

Hi Jeff

I hope that you are still on this site as I have just spotted your reply to my post. If you would like to get in touch, please let me know on here and I will pm you my email address.

Hope to hear from you

Brian.

PS I don't remember your name but it was nearly seventy years ago!!

Brian

Hi Brian, Good to hear from you again,we went to norwich for a couple of days and got back this afternoon on the way back we went down Briafield avenue to see the old school,it is for sale as a building plot i am glad that i saw it before they knocked it down look forward to hearing from you again. jeff

Hi Jeff,

I was an insignificant little boy with a round face. I went home from school down Smithfield road (a rough unmade road then), crossed White Lane and down the gennel opposite (between Plumbs newsagents and the chemist) left at the bottom on to Lister Crescent, number 37.

I started at Gleadless High in 1944 and I guess that you were (and are!) two years senior to me. I seem to remember that there was an air raid shelter in the back garden where we played. I seem to remember that I went home for lunch except on the odd occasion wnen my mother was out. I was the only pupil to take the "11+" then, in 1955 and I passed for Eckington Grammar.

I took my children there many years ago and they couldn't believe that it had been a school. It was so small!!

Happy, innocent days, though...

Brian

Edited by Benbow
mistake

Hi Brian,I started in 1946 and left in 49 when my father died,i lived on the Littledale estate at the time,mrs Reynolds daughter was in school at the same time as i was,she went on in later life to run her own dancing school.

When i saw the old school on Wednesday i was like you amazed to see how small it was looks no bigger than a garage.it will be sad when it has gone,it will be interesting to see what they build on such a small site.i will install skype and perhaps we can talk.if you have a skype address.speak soon Regards Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I don't know if you are still on this forum but here I am again four years later.

I am still living in Brittany with my wife and enjoying life here. We visit our daughters twice each year, summer and Christmas and are currently looking forward to this Christmas, the Pantomime, Santa special on the dean forest railway and seeing the families again (grandchildren 9, 15, 16 & 21 all join us.)

I hope that life is treating you well and have a nice Christmas.

Brian

I used to live on Smithfield Rd and knew that this building had some history, but wasn't sure exactly whet, never realised it was a school, I thought id had been a chapel or similar. Drove past this today and it has gone. A new house has been built where it once stood. Not sure if the new house also occupies the neighbouring house plot?