The State Of Our Roads..

Snow/ice/grit causing the surface to break up is just an excuse SCC wheel out every winter when really there's been chronic under investment for years and the road surfaces are bad any time of year.

I wonder if the roads in Scandanavia break up every winter, or do they possibly use different materials or use differnt construction methods, which are probably too expensive for us.

some roads just seem to have broken up in places
If they had been properly surfaced in the last 30 years they wouldn't have broken up. Instead, all the patches exacerbate the freeze/thaw situation by allowing multiple seams and cracks.

It even amazes me that as one of the few roads to have a resurface this decade, Ecclesall Road South was dug up within months. Hope it survived.

Actually, Leeds had a look and said yes please but the government wouldn't give them the money they needed.

Correct, now they are progressing a trolleybus scheme instead.

it is common for ice to cause this but the roads are bad at anytime of year, the ice has just made them a LOT worse

My main point was, where has all the money that has been paid in via Council Tax for road maintenence gone.

It is clear to anybody that it has not been used on the roads.

I have driven on back roads in the Pyrenees that are in far better condition.

Probably all been spent on the wicker and area.

Dead wrong - you are assuming all council spending is met from council tax. Fact is that about 70% of council spending is met from central government.

For donkeys years under both Conservative and Labour governments the amount given by central government to councils has been less than inflation. Therefore to just keep up with inflation council tax has had to go up by more than inflation. The council doesn't have a lot of choice on what a lot of money from central government is spent on.

And I do wonder how many yards of resurfacing your average council tax bill would pay for even if council tax paid for nothing else.

If I am as "dead wrong" as you state, why were the roads maintained to a decent level in the days of the old rating system (which was much less than the current exorbitant council tax).

Dont believe the spin mate, there is more than enough money in the coffers to keep the roads in order.

How come no matter what road you drive on in Sheffield, it's FULL!!! of bloody pot holes???? I drove to Rotherham yesterday and as soon as i got past the motorway roundabout (from Chapeltown) there were very little if any pot holes!!! How come every where has better roads then us??:huh:

Not enough funding for repairs, bad weather, 4X4's to name but 3 reasons.

Not enough funding for repairs, bad weather, 4X4's to name but 3 reasons.

I get the funding and weather, but how do 4X4's damage the roads? Because the 4X4 drivers don't feel the potholes so don't complain?

Edited by Snook

were pretty lucky in rotherham to have some very good roads compared to sheffield, that dosnt mean there all good though lol. i think sheffield just have too many things that they need to find money for at the min and the roads seem to be getting pushed to one side. its a shame though because the roads are the first thing visitors notice and it carnt set a very good first impression to them.

Where i live they've taken up all the pavements (which had nothing wrong with them!!!) and re-surfaced all of them, then put new speed bumps all over the roads, without taking into consideration the state of the roads, as no one can speed on them as every few yards is a hole bigger then a football!!