Old Sheffield transport firms

The Caudle family were a "name", locally, prior to 1905. They were amongst the families who put a considerable amount of money into enlarging the 1889 Sharrow New Connexion Methodist church, on Sharrow Lane (later to become the Sharrow St John's Methodist Church). These monies built the 1906 extension, next door to the 1889 building, both of which are now sadly "flattened".

According to minutes of the church meeting where the extension was discussed, and funding sought, Mrs Caudle nearly had heart failure when her husband called out that he would pledged a large amount of money. I understand from the history of the church, that they were instrumental in founding the original church in 1889.

I worked there in the 70s not very long though it was Richmond Road Garages, Ron and I had a personality clash :D

I worked there in the 70s not very long though it was Richmond Road Garages, Ron and I had a personality clash :D

That is right it was Richmond Road Garages as to the personality clash I can well understand that being related.

Harry atkinsons on bright side lane was another transport firm

What bout kitchens tpt

You mean R H Kitchen? They had a yard near Gleadless Church int 60s and 70s then moved to East End somewhere when they got a lot of work off River Don works.

Chris

Hi,

Has anyone anymore information of the history of Tuffnells or Harold Tuffnell?

H Waters and sons Greenland rd Harry was my step Grandfather