Old Sheffield transport firms

This is one that would drive elf & safety mad. !946/8. The Scouts of St Chads of Abbey Lane would go camping and how did we get to the East coast. On the back of a five ton Bedford lorry supplied by Rapid Transport. All the camping gear was placed on the wagon first and then all us Scouts would pile on top. What would the authorities have to say now. I think Rapid transport was owned by Shukers.

Hi Hetty I worked for tuffy in Mary St Depot in 1952-54 and new H.J. and his Brother Cliff

there was also H.J.son Derek about same age as me, He later left late 50s and I think he went to S.P.D. But I have no knowledge of a brother Joe

As a reply to Jazzman next post as mates we used to ride on tailboard when in delivery area it saved time as the driver pulled up we were off with delivery back from the delivery on to the tailboard bang on to the side of the body work and away he went.

I did this one day in Barnaby Dun but having dropped my delivery sheet I jumped off picked up the sheet and my driver Fred had gone He arrived back at B/D some 20 min later to find me sitting on the pavement much to his relief having got to Stainforth to find me missing and thinking the worst as Jazzman says what would H/S make of this practice today

.......maybe Joe Tuffnell was a cousin then!! I remember meeting Cliff at Grans house, she was a great one for 'tea' usually around 4.30, the usual things sandwiches, cakes etc. A tradition sadly no longer done!! I love it as a child.

HJ Tuffnell had a brother called Joe, he was my step Grandpa. I met him several tiomes when he went for tea at Grans.

Hi, I'm trying to trace the history of Tuffnells. If this link is still active could you pls email me on [email protected]

---------- Post added 10-12-2013 at 16:34 ----------

in mid 1950s a MR E SHAW had interest in CAULDLES on Queens road he later put money in to H J TUFFNELLS ST MARYS GATE (now tuffnells on shepcote lane) H.J. as he was known was the best boss i ever worked for had a brother called cliff and a son DERRICK

MR SHAW expanded tuffs purchased a new fleet of T.K.BEDFORDS and built a new depot on woodborne road later moving to shepcote lane in the late 60s

sorry i do not know what became of MR SHAW or CAULDLES but they were still working at QUEENS RD in the late 90s

Hi,

I'm trying to trace the history of Tuffnells. If this link is still active could you please email me on [email protected]

I used to work for Westfield Motors on The corner of Queens Rd & Edmund Rd and we used to repair all the Bradshaw & Bly trucks, I also lived next door but one to Jean Bradshaw about 1960.

Caudles was run by David Saint and his wife and two sons, I think the wife was the owner, that was in the 80s/90s

The haulage side went to Frank Phillips and then to the Parkwood group owned by the Duke of Norfolk who sold it on to Viridor which is still operating from Salmon Pastures.

I was working for riley's,driving an 8 wheeler e.r.f k.v.cab--ARB473B,whenthe guy who was hauling out of rdb for bradshaw & bly gave me the nod that he was leaving,and he put a word in for me.the boss said "come into the yard if you need tarps,ropes, repairs or to pick up your wages,your wife can pick them up or we will deliver them for you.Otherwise don't bother me,i'm a busy man,he said with a laugh.I told my mate les homer where i wanted to load for and he fixed it.great people to work for.6 months later i was in canada,but the memories linger on.clydesdale

Caudles was run by David Saint and his wife and two sons, I think the wife was the owner, that was in the 80s/90s

The haulage side went to Frank Phillips and then to the Parkwood group owned by the Duke of Norfolk who sold it on to Viridor which is still operating from Salmon Pastures.

I worked for C H Preston on Woodburn Road 1968/9 and we had a couple of Albion Clydesdales ex Caudles,one was 552 DWJ,think the other was 15 EWA. They had Servis Time Recorders at back of cab when Caudles had them. Prestons,Caudles,Mills and loads of others were in a group called DMS - Direct Motor Services - later Sheffield Storage and Haulage with a yard on Petre Street.All the work was shared out, a lot out of SPT and Firth Browns.

Chris

I worked for C H Preston on Woodburn Road 1968/9 and we had a couple of Albion Clydesdales ex Caudles,one was 552 DWJ,think the other was 15 EWA. They had Servis Time Recorders at back of cab when Caudles had them. Prestons,Caudles,Mills and loads of others were in a group called DMS - Direct Motor Services - later Sheffield Storage and Haulage with a yard on Petre Street.All the work was shared out, a lot out of SPT and Firth Browns.

Chris

Should that be Sheffield Haulage and Storage :D:suspect:

Should that be Sheffield Haulage and Storage :D:suspect:

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

You are spot on errrrrr "phantom".

Merry Xmas by the way.:D

Caudles is at least as old as 1905, as the White's Directory for that year includes "William Caudle & Co Ltd, coal & coke merchants, lime merchants and removal contractors" of Queen's Road. William Caudle evidently came from Gloucestershire, as a coal merchant of that name is listed in the 1891 census return for Sheffield, having been born at Avening, near Stroud, in c. 1862.

The Caudle family were a "name", locally, prior to 1905. They were amongst the families who put a considerable amount of money into enlarging the 1889 Sharrow New Connexion Methodist church, on Sharrow Lane (later to become the Sharrow St John's Methodist Church). These monies built the 1906 extension, next door to the 1889 building, both of which are now sadly "flattened".

According to minutes of the church meeting where the extension was discussed, and funding sought, Mrs Caudle nearly had heart failure when her husband called out that he would pledged a large amount of money. I understand from the history of the church, that they were instrumental in founding the original church in 1889.

Any one remember Richmond Road road services .