Sheffield mentioned on 8 out of 10 cats.

Every joke that comes from Jimmy Carr is crap.

He is just not funny.....not even in the slightest.....and he looks like he should fall into the care in the community pigeon hole.

DOES he have someone who looks after him? :hihi:

Jimmy is pure class, fantastic comedian, his Sheffield joke was abit naff mind, he could have come up with summet better than that I reckon... but ahh well.

he is talentless in my opinion so who cares

Was that said with a hint of :rolleyes: they can afford to smoke but can`t afford £16.50 for a dentist check up.

Statistically smokers are more likely to suffer dental problems, less likely to visit the dentist, have to pay more for dental care, and spend much more in tobacco tax than entire families do on their dental care.

If you ask people, many say they don't use the dentist because its too expensive, that there ain't enough nhs dentists, that the nhs is also too expensive and, if you look at the statistics, the amount of yearly dentist visits remains constant (whilst population is rising), hence people are less likely to visit the dentist.

People are people and smokers could definitely afford to go to the dentist, but people are people and some will pick fags over fillings, you could make dentists free for all (and it would be the best option if you ask me), and there would still be people who never visit a dentist for whatever reason.

Smokers are an AT RISK group when it comes to oral health, yet they cite high costs time and time again as a reason for not visiting.

Common sense national health policy should seek to increase the amount of smokers visiting the dentist.

1/3 of 20-34 year olds smoke, this group of people being statistically less likely to visit, year on on year the proportion of people in this age bracket and also children visiting dentists has been falling, whilst the amount of people citing cost as a restrictive factor in visiting the dentist increases.

1 in 25 children have never been taken to a dentist, and more than 1 in 10 people haven't got a dentist nor been in the past 5 years.

84% of companies are worried their workers cannot afford dental care.

Over 50% of people asked in 2009 have been put off of visiting the dentist because of cost.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/documents/digitalasset/dh_077237.pdf

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=866

https://www.simplyhealth.co.uk/shcore/sh/content/pdfs/simplyhealth-dentist-survey.pdf

I'm not surprised by the above statistics, nor Sheffield been mocked for its teeth.

40 years down the line with an increased rate of oral cancer I won't be neither.

£16.50 doesn't sound like a lot, but if we add £16.50 to the cost of something we decrease the amount of people paying for it/buying it.

I'm suggesting the £16.50 puts people off of going.

so how do they get their fillings?

Can you get do it yourself kits these days?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7041291.stm

You can always try pliers, a string and a door, whisky and fisticuffs, superglue, a whole variety of products offered on the internet etc.

6% of people have treated themselves...

Or is because you can't get a dentist to see you?

I am certain nhs dentists are available in Sheffield, I am registered at 3 for convenience.

I am certain nhs dentists are available in Sheffield, I am registered at 3 for convenience.

So that's why I cannot get in at one! The only ones that seem to be accepting new NHS patients are the ones that do not appeal to me.

No its just because a lot of Sheffielders and wannabe Sheffielders cant be bothered to clean there teeth lol.

That is a big factor too :hihi:

The funny thing is though, the people paying full UK duty on cigarettes get warnings like this, yet they are the ones suffering such dental problems, complaining its too expensive to go to the dentist, whilst others can afford to visit the dentist by avoiding paying UK DUTY on their tobaccos.

So that's why I cannot get in at one! The only ones that seem to be accepting new NHS patients are the ones that do not appeal to me.

I take it you don't visit the dentist then?

I'm suggesting the £16.50 puts people off of going.

But £5+ a packet doesn’t but people off

Free check-ups, free doctors prescriptions, ah the good old days, lets go the whole hog and give the kids a little bottle of milk at school as well, then again its free laptops they want these days isn’t it. :roll:

Edited by Grandad.Malky

I take it you don't visit the dentist then?

No! Not after my last experience at a certain practice that is always taking new NHS patients on the Abbeydale/London Road junction. It was the dental equivalent of A&E on a Saturday night.

Anyone hear Jimmy Carr mention Sheffield last night?

He starts the show with a few statistics and the first was:

"Shefield has the most fillings and bad teeth, finally something to put on that welcome to Sheffield poster"

At least we got a mention :)

Which poster was he talking about?

Switch your web cams off posters! Jimmy is checking out your teeth. :suspect:

Edited by viney40