Pregnant women evacuated from Sheffield in 1940s

Due to Jessop's suffering bomb damage in 1941, my mother could either go from her home in Myrtle Road to Retford or Bakewell . She decided to give birth at Bakewell Newholme Hospital whilst lodging in Youlgreave. My father always said - 'you'll never play cricket for Yorkshire lad!!'

lwas born in February 1943 in Sheffield Nether Edge Hospital,my dad originated from Birmingham at this time he worked at Neepsend Power Station where our cottage was on their land!.The power station was a target for the German bombers so our old mans bright idea was to ship my mother and little baby me to his relatives in Birmingham after an air raid on Sheffield!.Needless to say no sooner had we arrived Birmingham and Coventry were severely bombed and we promptly returned to Sheffield at the first opportunity,luckily nobody in our family were unharmed not like some poor devils on Hawksley Avenue not far away from us,one side of which took direct hits from a string of bombs all the way down!.

Hi old tup,Is your birth year correct as above (1943)? Birmingham was blitzed in November and Coventry later that month in 1940, Sheffield's turn came two weeks later in December 1940 when Hawksley Avenue was hit.

The mother of one of my school friends moved a few miles into rural South Yorkshire to give birth to his second sister in 1941 so there may have been some advice available to parents at that time.

Hi Voldy yes I was born in 1943,I may have got the dates of the bombings mixed up as I was told about what happened as a child!.But all the events of my mother,s and my exodus happened,a case of out of the frying pan into the fire as Birmingham and Coventry were bigger targets I believe!.

My birth certificate(November 1942) says that I was born in Jessops Hospital, Norton Annexe. As has been mentioned, the maternity wards were dispersed during the war, so my mother was moved into Norton Hall - next to Norton Church.

Nether Edge was another, and I believe there was one just off the A61 near Grenoside, but I stand to be corrected.

As Norton Parish was in Derbyshire, I was never sure which county I belong to...

My birth certificate(November 1942) says that I was born in Jessops Hospital, Norton Annexe. As has been mentioned, the maternity wards were dispersed during the war, so my mother was moved into Norton Hall - next to Norton Church.

Nether Edge was another, and I believe there was one just off the A61 near Grenoside, but I stand to be corrected.

As Norton Parish was in Derbyshire, I was never sure which county I belong to...

To register the birth, your parent(s) would have to have gone to the nearest register office,that I assume was Sheffield, which is in Yorkshire.

My birth was registered whilst the registrar went round the maternity ward in 1941 filling out the necessary paperwork.

My Mother was bombed out of her flat in the London blitz and came back up to Sheffield to be with her parents. My father was serving with the Royal Marines. She gave birth to my sister in Sharrow Head Nursing Home at the top of Cemetery Road in June 1944. Bombing wise things were possibly much quieter then?

After the end of October 1941 no significant bombing raids are recorded on Sheffield though in December 1944 some V1 'Doodlebug' bombs targeting Manchester were passing over the Sheffield area, presumably a last defiant attack on the Northern cities.

My Mother was sent to Retford where she gave birth to my Brother in 1942.