Sheffield to get under road heating?

Not goin out on a promise, she want lay something else.:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:wink::

I'm on my own arn't I?

No need for under road heating...just boil a kettle and fill the pot holes with hot water....hey presto no frozen roads. No need for Mr Betts and his crackpot costly ideas.

Cheers

So what do people think about today's headline in the Telegraph suggested by Clive Betts?

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/Heated-roads-to-beat-the.5982215.jp

Personally I think it's a fabulous idea and something that's very much needed if it can be connected to the city's incinerator.

I'd like to see somebody come up with an accurate figure for the running costs and the lifespan on such a scheme to see if it's worth installing or not.

I'd like to see serious government funded investment in R&D first. We don't build our roads (and pavements) as well as we could. We have underground tunnels and underground rivers, all exploitable.

Gritting damages the surface of roads, gets into the watercourse etc., but can we have efficient underground heating, need we have it in the first place?

Could we trust those in power whom struggle with a bit of snow and subsequent rain year on year with something like underground heating?

Can we tap the underground (warm) water safely and cheaply, rather than using an incinerator for heat.

What about a conductive surface/sections which could be electrically heated or cooled when appropiate at the touch of a button, as part of a permeous road system designed to cope with stormwater.

We should pave all of Norton aerodrome first, do a bit of testing and pick the best type of paving. The new jobs would be good for the city!

£2000 million don't want to be wasted.

What a waste of time, Global warming is on its way we will be having a barby for christmas dinner, and i expect they will have to go out whith water tankers to spray the roads to stop the tarmac melting and there will be another problem then, no water,

ah well life goes on and on school closed roads are too hot.

Yet another person who thinks that climate change/global warming will only result in hot weather:hihi:

My memory may be playing tricks but I think I remember once reading somewhere (probably in the Star) about a street in the city centre having under-road heating. Either it had it, or it was about to be installed (so it may have just been an idea that never happened).

I cannot remember for certain, but I think it might have been Lee Croft, or something in the same area, eg Hawley Street. I've Googled likely key words but not found anything.

Does this mean anything to anyone, or is it just my brain going on holiday? I'm talking about something from probably 40 years ago. The road in my mind was still cobbled at the time. Any ideas anyone?

...or shall i just go and lie down in a darkened room and hope it all goes away?

Edit: I think if I'm correct, it would be associated with the old bus station, it would have already existed 40 years ago, not just being built.

It is the small steep road that leads upto the rear entrance of The Star newspaper offices:)

I'd like to ...........

We should pave all of Norton aerodrome first, do a bit of testing and pick the best type of paving. The new jobs would be good for the city!

£2000 million don't want to be wasted.

Why do wwe need so spend money testing when its used else where

Why do wwe need so spend money testing when its used else where
Because there are various solutions and it would be a huge investment. All systems will have different pros and cons.

I can't see it happening anytime soon anyway.

What a waste of time, Global warming is on its way we will be having a barby for christmas dinner, and i expect they will have to go out whith water tankers to spray the roads to stop the tarmac melting and there will be another problem then, no water,

ah well life goes on and on school closed roads are too hot.

Haha yes :D

That will never happen in Sheffield. They need to get their priorities right.

Believe it or not Meeting House Lane at the back of The Star building has under road heating from the late fifties as the buses used to run up it to get to Townhead St. I dont know if its still used but its still in place.

So what do people think about today's headline in the Telegraph suggested by Clive Betts?

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/Heated-roads-to-beat-the.5982215.jp

Personally I think it's a fabulous idea and something that's very much needed if it can be connected to the city's incinerator.

I'd like to see somebody come up with an accurate figure for the running costs and the lifespan on such a scheme to see if it's worth installing or not.

Having just read all the comments on this thread, it is clear that the vast majority of people hadn't read the actual article which is at

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/Time-to-be-bold-focused.5980338.jp

The link given in the initial post is clearly Sheffield Telegraph's introduction, and not the article.

I think Betts' proposal that some form of under-road heating is examined as part of the PFI road proposal is very sensible.

Neither does it have to be un-green. The potential for road energy is huge and is now being used to heat a school in Hatfield, a community centre in Merton and a Sixth Form College in Ipswich. It could also be used to keep airport runways free of ice, snow and delays. The technology is already in use in the UK - eg see http://www.icax.co.uk