Sheffield to get under road heating?

I know what it said in the article which is exactly what you previously said, that Betts seemed to be suggesting that it should be a city centre scheme and not that it will be a city centre scheme.

Like plenty of people on here you're making too many assumptions when nothing definite has been decided and when all the information about running costs etc aren't formulated yet.

Without being flippant, you're the one that started this thread...

...without any real understanding of the subject at hand!

Without being flippant, you're the one that started this thread...

...without any real understanding of the subject at hand!

And your evidence for that per se?

I understand the technology only too well. The only bits I don't understand (which is the same for everybody on here) are the actual running costs in the locations that it would be implemented which may vary in different parts of the city and the overall lifespan of the scheme.

Only when we have factual information on those things can we then come to a realistic conclusion as to whether a scheme like this would be viable or not.

I haven't done any calculations at all, but I bet it would be a less expensive and more comprehensive solution to have the council distribute winter tyres for all council tax payers vehicles.... A solution for the whole city?

Jerry

...The only bits I don't understand (which is the same for everybody on here) are the actual running costs in the locations...

Now, that's not true, is it.

*Checks that the calendar does not show First of April....*

When I saw the headline I wondered if that was the date :hihi::hihi:

Now, that's not true, is it.

I'm afraid it is.

I haven't done any calculations at all, but I bet it would be a less expensive and more comprehensive solution to have the council distribute winter tyres for all council tax payers vehicles.... A solution for the whole city?

Jerry

And wake up to find eight of somebody else's bricks there instead?:hihi:

When I saw the headline I wondered if that was the date :hihi::hihi:

You, me, and nearly everyone else.

The original Telegraph article says:-A RADICAL idea to keep Sheffield moving during snow and ice is floated today by MP Clive Betts – under-road heating.

As the city yesterday experienced treacherous conditions because of freezing rain, Mr Betts suggests taking advantage of a massive road repair programme due to be rolled out across Sheffield from the summer of next year.

Roads will be dug up, so why not explore the potential for incorporating under-road heating, at least on all the main roads and throughout the city centre? The Attercliffe Labour MP is urging the city to be "bold and innovative" as it prepares to roll out a £2bn Private Finance Initiative designed to bring Sheffield's deteriorating road network up to standard over seven years. Mr Betts, a former leader of the council, says examples of under-road heating can be found in Canada, Japan, Switzerland and the USA and on several airport runways.

The council says it is currently pulling out all the stops to grit the main roads. When the worst is over, it says it wants to see a debate over how improvements can be made to the system. end quote .

Like every other politician he has come up with something to answer a barrage of whinges cus it snows every ten years or so. So he came up with under floor heating cus he'd just read something about it. Neatly side stepping the why haven't we gritted the whole of sheffield by 8am questions. He and everyone else knows by the time a couple of meetings have been held it will be warm again and cold things will move to the back burner. The weather does what it wants too its fairly unpredictable.No one wants to spend millions annuallly sorting out a problem that arises every decade or so. The places that have it need it cus it happens there every year. It doesn't here and no one is suggesting it will. So now the ice has melted the heat is out of the discussion and we can all forget the wierd suggestions that come up. Till the next one

Neatly side stepping the why haven't we gritted the whole of sheffield by 8am questions.

Any idea how many gritters we'd need to do the whole of Sheffield by 8am?

My memory may be playing tricks but I think I remember once reading somewhere (probably in the Star) about a street in the city centre having under-road heating. Either it had it, or it was about to be installed (so it may have just been an idea that never happened).

I cannot remember for certain, but I think it might have been Lee Croft, or something in the same area, eg Hawley Street. I've Googled likely key words but not found anything.

Does this mean anything to anyone, or is it just my brain going on holiday? I'm talking about something from probably 40 years ago. The road in my mind was still cobbled at the time. Any ideas anyone?

...or shall i just go and lie down in a darkened room and hope it all goes away?

Edit: I think if I'm correct, it would be associated with the old bus station, it would have already existed 40 years ago, not just being built.

The street you mention was the steep top part of Meeting House Lane off Bank Street which was heated by buried electric cables. Unfortunately something went wrong with the system and I watched the fire brigade putting out the burning tarmac.

Any idea how many gritters we'd need to do the whole of Sheffield by 8am?

No but paying for them annually would be silly as well, thats the point there is no enocomically viable way of dealing with snow levels that happen once a decade.