Pubs on commercial st 1960's

It was the Kings Head and it was a Higsons house, a Liverpool Brewery that owned it. It was one of only two pubs in Sheffield that had revolving doors the other being the Athol on the corner of Charles St & Pinstone St, the Athol is still there but its a slot machine arcade but you can still see the name over the back entrance on Burgess St. Oh yes there was a Pianist in there playing a Grand Piano at the week-ends.

The pianist (always very smart in dress shirt & bow tie) always used to offer a pinch of snuff to the patrons.

Incidentally, mammybear, it was common in those days for most pubs to employ at least one waiter who would serve you at the table - I did this job myself, interspersed with bar work, for a few years.

hi lazarus i think the black swan had revolving doors at one time.

It was the Kings Head and it was a Higsons house, a Liverpool Brewery that owned it. It was one of only two pubs in Sheffield that had revolving doors the other being the Athol on the corner of Charles St & Pinstone St, the Athol is still there but its a slot machine arcade but you can still see the name over the back entrance on Burgess St. Oh yes there was a Pianist in there playing a Grand Piano at the week-ends.

Didn't the dive bar at the late lamented Grand Hotel have revolving doors ?

do you mean the buccaneer, if so i dont think it had revolving doors. the grand hotel may have had them though.

Thats right, but the old bank is the building with the cuppola on in the picture.

There was a bank on the corner where cooplands stands now, and yes the cupola-ed building was a bank. It burnt down, perhaps 25/30 years ago? (I don't think it was the same time as the fire that gutted Wigfalls' shop) Cooplands' building was put up on that corner, after the fire.

Regarding the positioning of the pub in question, I'm referring to the white marble (1950s?) building that houses the big Barclays bank, and the Manpower employment agency, just below Cooplands, opposite the tram stop.

(Thinking out loud, I remember something about a fire in the {Induz?} restaurant underneath the Classic cinema, next door to the bank building - the one with the cupola - Was the bank burnt down at the same time as that fire?)

In my earlier post I was using `A Pub On Every Corner` by Douglas Lamb for the information and it states `King`s Arms,12 Commercial St.(1825-1973). It seems from your and other posts to be the wrong name.Sorry for any confusion.

In my earlier post I was using `A Pub On Every Corner` by Douglas Lamb for the information and it states `King`s Arms,12 Commercial St.(1825-1973). It seems from your and other posts to be the wrong name.Sorry for any confusion.

It's shown as the Kings Arms on the photo, so it maybe had a name change at some point later.

Apology upon apologies it WAS the the KINGS ARMS the KINGS HEAD was on Change Alley, sorry for putting my foot in it.