Donating toward aid for the Haiti Earthquake?

The company I work for has just donated £50,000 towards aid for the earthquake, and although I can't quite match that i've just donated a fiver too. I hope although it isn't much, it will buy something massively needed over there.

My bold.

How do you know?

Do you know the salaries and annual bonuses’ and Divi's of your Chairman and board of Directors?

I doubt it. But you know that they have donated £50,000!

This is not charity. This is publicity.

My bold.

How do you know?

Do you know the salaries and annual bonuses’ and Divi's of your Chairman and board of Directors?

I doubt it. But you know that they have donated £50,000!

This is not charity. This is publicity.

No I do not, but funnily enough their salary means absolutely nothing to me.

They sent an email round the offices all over the country to ask whether anyone donated them. It wasn't a public thing, it was the staff - they have a right to know where their christmas money and annual increases will be going don't they? Because we didn't get either of these due to lack of funding and now i'm glad it has gone elsewhere - the people of Haiti need it far more than I need an extra 10p an hour!

Edited by Tess

No I do not, but funnily enough their salary means absolutely nothing to me.

They sent an email round the offices all over the country to ask whether anyone donated them. It wasn't a public thing, it was the staff - they have a right to know where their christmas money and annual increases will be going don't they? Because we didn't get either of these due to lack of funding and now i'm glad it has gone elsewhere - the people of Haiti need it far more than I need an extra 10p an hour!

Your donations are commendable, even though they are now made public.

Do you think it fair that your annual increases and Christmas money were shoved into a kitty for a disaster in Haiti that hadn't even happened at Christmas!!?.

Your donations are commendable, even though they are now made public.

Do you think it fair that your annual increases and Christmas money were shoved into a kitty for a disaster in Haiti that hadn't even happened at Christmas!!?.

I think its commendable that the money they didn't give us, to allow them to stay afloat in the middle of a recession, they are giving to a country that so desperately needs it right now.

Wow! Viney you have got some issues mate! have you had a compassion bypass? Don't you realise what has happened in Haiti? Try imagining for just a few minutes what they are going through. Just try and develop an ounce of empathy for fellow human beings in real trouble.

Who cares if a company donates £50,000 publically or privately? I would have thought that if they made it public then it could spur other organisations to match it.

It is true that some of these companies could be donating money publically as a form of publicity but so what? At least the people who need help get it.

Have you also considered Viney how your public stand on such a huge issue could affect YOUR business? In being so mean spirited, selfish and public about it many people could be put off using your plastering services. I know I am!

What a selfish view!!

Haiti is the poorest country in the western hemisphere. I don't know how people with opinions like your's can sleep at night.

Very easily. The planet is massively overpopulated and natural events like this one are just nature's way of keeping the population down. But that's another topic for another thread.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=540343

Edited by GordonBennet
added link to new thread

I wondered how long it would be before the begging bowl came out.

I'm sorry if it's not the right-on view but there are more deserving charities in our own country that deserve our support.

Even if the money does get through to the people who need it (which is unlikely) how is throwing money at someone buried under a load of rubble going to help them?

Rather unpalatable, but sadly some truth in this. :(

Wow! Viney you have got some issues mate! have you had a compassion bypass? Don't you realise what has happened in Haiti? Try imagining for just a few minutes what they are going through. Just try and develop an ounce of empathy for fellow human beings in real trouble.

Who cares if a company donates £50,000 publically or privately? I would have thought that if they made it public then it could spur other organisations to match it.

It is true that some of these companies could be donating money publically as a form of publicity but so what? At least the people who need help get it.

Have you also considered Viney how your public stand on such a huge issue could affect YOUR business? In being so mean spirited, selfish and public about it many people could be put off using your plastering services. I know I am!

You have completely misunderstood my point.

I should make it clear, that I donate to several charities every month by way of direct debit from my “personal” account, and have done for many years. I have also recently donated to the Haiti appeal.

I do not feel the need to shout from the roof tops, every time I make a donation, as I believe that charity should be given quietly, and not be used as a means for personal gain. You have forced me to disclose my moral standing by attempting to discredit me, and my business, while not being in possession of the facts!

With regards to Tess’s case, my point was that it was unfair of her company to donate staff wages to gain recognition as being charitable. It did not come out of the pockets of the top brass, nor the company pot, and was a clear case of emotional blackmail to further the company’s profile.

In your post, you labelled me as being “mean spirited” and “selfish”, and suggested that people should not use my services. You were clearly wrong in your assumptions.

I must remind you that you also state your business in your signature. It would be very easy for me to discredit you, due to your attack on me without gathering the facts beforehand.

I will not attempt to discredit you. I believe that you genuinely misunderstood my point, However, I think it only fair that you retract your previous allegations towards me.

All the best. viney :)

Does anyone know if you can take parcels of clothes/shoes/bedding etc anywhere. I know a friend in Spain did one, but haven't heard of anything like that round here? She said that airlines are filling any spare planes and sending them out to Haiti full of these parcels.

Does anyone know if you can take parcels of clothes/shoes/bedding etc anywhere. I know a friend in Spain did one, but haven't heard of anything like that round here? She said that airlines are filling any spare planes and sending them out to Haiti full of these parcels.

They prefer cash, it is difficult to put clothes/shoes/bedding etc. into a numbered Swiss Bank Account.

Aquabox at Matlock have just flown out their first 200 boxes of aid, and are busy packing more to send out. There is a list of items they need to fill the boxes on their website http://www.aquabox.org/filling.asp

Some unbelieveable comments on this thread from people that don't care about those less fortunate than ourselves. But that's human nature, It's no wonder the world is in such a mess!

Some of these poor people in poor countries, provide us with food and other material things in life for us to enjoy and they get paid peanuts!!!

The least we can do is help them in their hour of need!!!!!!!

HAITI, The Day the Earth Shook

The day starts just like any other,

But within seconds you feel a shudder.

The ground shakes, walls begin to crack,

You feel vibration and you start to fall back.

Panic sets in, you scream and shout,

Calling for help but there’s no-one about.

The building crumbles, objects fall from high,

You hope and pray that you aren’t going to die.

Bricks, broken glass and mortar dust in the air,

People escaping, seeking safety anywhere.

Like a roar of thunder the unexpected quake

Suddenly goes all quiet and stops to shake.

Leaving behind buildings crashed to the ground,

Trapped, injured survivors, desperate to be found.

But thousands that day were out of luck

When the terrible earthquake in Haiti struck.

Unknowingly, life suddenly comes to an end,

For families, neighbours and life long friends.

Survivors with crushed bodies, broken bones,

No where to live, no more homes.

What future do they have to look forward too?

It all depends on people like me and you!