Donating toward aid for the Haiti Earthquake?

A lot of scams already online. I made a donation the old fashioned way by mailing a check to the Red Cross marked Haiti Relief fund.

Quick and easy... text 'GIVE' to 70077 to donate a fiver - costs £5 plus network charge...

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=611463107#/pages/Disasters-Emergency-Committee-DEC/33268280976?

Also on twitter @decappeal

Or see

http://www.dec.org.uk

for other ways to donate.

DEC are an umbrella organisation coordinating the work of UK charities for international disasters.

Just think... 49m UK adults x £5 = £245m>>> £12m raised so far. This is a city, country and people in crisis and desperate. They need the world's help.

Edited by pigtails
typo

It's sad that this thread has not had more support.

Yes, I agree that there are charities in this country that need our support and I would like to think that they receive it.

This is a tragedy on a massive scale and I would hope that people that can afford to will dig a little deeper into their pockets at this time.

Thankfully according to the paper I have read today 2 million of the British public have.

As for throwing it at someone buried under rubble, try telling that to the mother who's 2 year old son was pulled alive from that same rubble!

Well said, Aberdeen....spot on, my friend.

Agree with every word......

I wondered how long it would be before the begging bowl came out.

I'm sorry if it's not the right-on view but there are more deserving charities in our own country that deserve our support.

Even if the money does get through to the people who need it (which is unlikely) how is throwing money at someone buried under a load of rubble going to help them?

What a blindingly stupid post.

To donate...text 'GIVE' to 70077 to donate a fiver - costs £5 plus network charge...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...EC/33268280976 Also on twitter @decappeal or see http://www.dec.org.uk for other ways to donate. DEC are an umbrella organisation coordinating the work of UK charities for international disasters.

I encourage everyone to put the DEC link and 'Text 'GIVE' to 70077 to donate a fiver' in their facebook status, on twitter & keep retweeting, on your blogs and on any other forums you contribute to.

Think>>> 49m UK adults x £5 = £245m>>> & £12m raised so far. This is a city, country and people in crisis and desperate. They need the world's help.

Peace & love to us all x

If you prefer to give more personal help, there is a local charity which sends out boxes of aid including the actual box which acts as a water filter to give clean water. http://www.aquabox.org/intro.asp

You can choose whether to have a box sent out for you or your group to fill yourselves, or you can sponsor an already filled box. Sheffield Home Education Network sponsored a box some time ago, and they allowed the children to go to the depot at Matlock to help to pack the boxes up that they were sending out. It is a worthy charity which impressed me because they work from a small base with a group of volunteers, having very few overheads so the majority of donations go towards aiding the victims of natural disasters, not towards the running costs of the charity.

...having very few overheads so the majority of donations go towards aiding the victims of natural disasters, not towards the running costs of the charity.

this was the issue which prompted me to post originally.

however after reading the DEC website and seeing this quote

Your donation will go to the people affected by the crisis wherever they can be reached.

and their further explaination here:

We will:

* Ensure that the humanitarian imperative comes first

* Maximise charitable donations from the UK public and UK companies in response to disasters overseas

* Unite the UK’s independent humanitarian agencies in their efforts to mount an effective, timely humanitarian response to those least able to withstand such disasters

* Ensure that all funds are used in an accountable, transparent manner

* Facilitate agency cooperation, coordination and communication

* Raise standards in the implementation of humanitarian responses.

i decided to send my donation to DEC for these reasons in the end. im not religious and dont like the idea of my donation being spent on religiously orientated organisations.

the entire purpose of my donation was knowing that i coud forgo the marks and sparks offer this weekend of a meal for 2 for a tenner (which i would proabably eaten all to myself) and helped someone else have clean drinking water and food for at least a day or few....their need was far greater than mine.

x

The money might not help those buried under a load of rubble, if they're already dead, but it might help the living to stay alive.

Of course, it's entirely up to you who you choose to donate money to, just like it's up to me to choose to make most of my charitable donations to animal charities, rather than human ones, although a lot of people seem to think that's somehow wrong.

I'm with you on that one - I always donate to the lesser known charitys rather than the usual cancer research/heart foundations etc..

"I know everyone's on it but if u can afford please txt GIVE to 70077 to give £5 to DEC and help the people struggling in Haiti tonight" Andi Durrant

I wondered how long it would be before the begging bowl came out.

I'm sorry if it's not the right-on view but there are more deserving charities in our own country that deserve our support.

Even if the money does get through to the people who need it (which is unlikely) how is throwing money at someone buried under a load of rubble going to help them?

What a selfish view!!

Haiti is the poorest country in the western hemisphere. I don't know how people with opinions like your's can sleep at night.

It's sad that this thread has not had more support.

Yes, I agree that there are charities in this country that need our support and I would like to think that they receive it.

This is a tragedy on a massive scale and I would hope that people that can afford to will dig a little deeper into their pockets at this time.

Thankfully according to the paper I have read today 2 million of the British public have.

As for throwing it at someone buried under rubble, try telling that to the mother who's 2 year old son was pulled alive from that same rubble!

Supporting a thread about a cause, is not the same as supporting the cause. I think the reason that this thread has not received more attention, is that many people have already given donations through their genuine sympathy for the people involved in this tragic event.

I would hazard a guess that the majority of the 2 million Brit's that have donated, have done so quietly. The majority will also have donated to charities closer to home.

Donating, and shouting about it is conducive to egotism.

Lets face it, From the richest to the poorest of our society, we all have far more than we need in comparison to the less privileged parts of "our" Globe.

The company I work for has just donated £50,000 towards aid for the earthquake, and although I can't quite match that i've just donated a fiver too. I hope although it isn't much, it will buy something massively needed over there.