Want to move to Sheffield

Agree entirely. Sheffield has its bad points as do most cities. On the whole though, a pretty decent place. If it's so horrendous, why don't people move elsewhere and stop their whinging?

Nether Edge might suit you, just come over, have a drink in the Union Hotel, and have a good look around. Just pm me if you like the area, I might just be able to help you. By the way, I'm not a letting agent, we just have some family owned property in the area, that we could let to people who we like, as and when available.

Thanks I shall contact you when I Arrive after my research thanks pal

My eldest daughter went to Uni in leicester and loved it so much that she stayed there after graduation. However, she also loves Sheffield and looks forward to her visits here. S35 is a lovely area, on the edge of the countryside, but with a good bus service into town ( when its not snowing that is!) Sheffield City centre isn't that bad, of course there are run down area but that is true of wherever you go. Spend time looking around this w/e, get a day rider for the tram and go everywhere on it. You'll certainly see lots of different area that way. Good luck.

Thanks Miss Lounty, you guys on this forum are fantastic, I deeply appreciate the advice thanks:)

I wouldn't listen to most of the whingebags on here John. I know at least a dozen people who came here for university and liked it so much that they never left. One of the main things people like is being in a large city but having a village feel.

There are obviously bad areas, and the city centre isn't the best for shopping (but there is Meadowhall for that) but is generally very friendly for going out drinking whether you want a full night out or a quiet one somewhere.

You might find http://www.mysheffieldjobs.co.uk quite good for employment and as for accommodation just go on http://www.rightmove.co.uk and enter a postcode (S1 for city centre) and see what you can find.

Many people on here will never be happy, there will always be something wrong and will ignore the fact that there are lots of good parks and within 10 minutes of the peak district. They'll also ignore that its one of the safest large cities in England.

Thank you Paul for the website links, yes I was on Google street view, thankfully they have a camera in sheffield and I love the village impression from the images I zoomed in, I love lots of green and countryside, hope sheffield has lots to my likin

thanks mate:)

You guys are all superb, thank you so much, you and google map have been a blessing to me

My eldest daughter went to Uni in leicester and loved it so much that she stayed there after graduation.

There's got to be more to it than that, surely? Like a partner there? Or a job? Otherwise, I find that difficult to comprehend. :huh:

Edited by Hecate
fixed quote tags.

"Want to move to Sheffield'

me too.

I moved away from Sheffield 8 year ago and when I speak to my family n friends they tell me how much it has gone down hill, and these are people who used to love the place. when I go back to visit I can see what they mean, I cant believe how bad the roads are. apart from family n friends I do miss the Peak District and the Sheffield sense of humour which you don't get down south, so not all bad. Sheffield is the 5th largest city in England so I suppose you will get good and bad areas. If I had to move back to a city then it would have to be Sheffield, probably Crystal Peaks area.

Edited by yorkie75

Sheffield has improved a lot since the 1980s. There are some great features in the city centre. It is not the best place to shop but if you don't require a new posh frock every week it is adequate, in conjunction with internet shopping. It is the safest big city in the country and the greenest and it is the best city to live in if you like the outdoor life as well. Its major weakness is on the job front and I would advise that you get something fixed up before you move.

I moved to Sheffield from south Leicestershire in 2000 to start university here. I went back to Leicester, working in Lutterworth and Hinckley for 10 months after I finished uni in 2004 and I missed Sheffield so much that I had to keep looking for jobs up here. Thankfully, I got a job back here and I have now been very happily based up here since autumn 2005.

Much as I still like Leicester, Sheffield beats it hands down in my opinion. There are great restaurants, amazing open spaces, some beautiful buildings (the Town Hall in my opinion is one of the prettiest buildings I have seen in this country and sitting at a bar in the Peace Gardens on a summer's day looking at it is lovely). The nightlife is fun in terms of bars (though Leicester probably beats it on clubs). The people are, across the board, lovely and you can find some real bargains for houses to rent, too.

I live in Nether Edge (on the edge of it though where its not too pricey) and it's great. Nether Edge is really like a village (it even has Farmer's Markets which are lovely) but its within 20 minutes on the bus from the city centre. And only 20 minutes (maximum) to drive out into the peaks.

I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, to be honest!

Leeds is great for job opportunity and for nightlife (and shopping), but I (personally) find it a bit too big and impersonal.

Good luck if you decide to make the move!

Do it, variety is the spice of life!

If you don't like it you can always move on, but you can say at least you gave it a go.

Just be prepared for some very bad roads!

I came here in 1986 to go to Poly and stayed on afterwards.

I have lived mostly in the SW, Nether Edge, Hunters Bar, Greystones, Banner Cross and now live in Millhouses.

Shared houses are plentiful in most areas but I would keep to the traditional student-ish areas which as well as most of the above also include Crookes and Walkley.

I would also look at Hillsborough, great transport into town on Supertram and the rent will be a little cheaper but its more 'local'.

You will be able to rent a room in a shared house for between about £180 & £250 per month some including bills.

Look here http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=91

The city centre isn't looking its best at the moment due to the new development being postponed but it has steadily improved in the last 20 years. Some great buildings now. Make sure you walk up past the University from the station, through the Millenium Galleries/Winter gardens, around city hall and into the Peace gardens. Have a go on the wheel if you have time.

As adviced buy a day pass and catch one of the 80 buses out on Ecclesall Rd, have a look around Hunters Bar then walk up Brocco Bank to Broomhall and then onto Walkley/Crookes on the 52 (?) then onto Hillsborough and catch the tram back into town.