Gang culture - Whats the deterrant?

They have all sorts of gang problems in Ireland, shootings and violence are much more common than here in the UK. Dublin has many gangs in areas of the north/south/westside that go to battle with each other over historical feuds and for control of the narcotics trade.

There are postcodes in areas of Dublin, D4 for example is Sandymount, Ballsbridge, Donnybrook, Ringsend and Irishtown on the South Side. I also believe there is a plan to roll out a unique postcode system like we have here in the UK.

I was joking. I don't really think that brutal gangs would disband overnight and become nurses, aid workers and teachers if we changed the Post Office's method of identifying streets :)

Put them in the army.

Sure, the professionals won't want these unfit, illiterate oafs but I'm sure a use could be made for them.

Bayonet practice, maybe?

Like with the eugenics, not really workable here in 2010 ;)

Like with the eugenics, not really workable here in 2010 ;)

Hows about 2011?:thumbsup::D

They don't have gang problems apart from the obvious? So, they do have a gang problem then. The drug dealing terrorists over there are probably a bigger problem than anything we have over here.

See post #74

You'd think the chance of someone busting a cap in your backside or getting knifed would be a deterrant.

You'd think the chance of someone busting a cap in your backside or getting knifed would be a deterrant.

We should never under estimate the influence of stupidity.:rolleyes:

I don't think its right to stereotype blacks in that way. most black offenders come from large family's, can't tar them all with the same brush.

Are you completely dense???

I'm not saying all blacks carry illegal firearms. I'm saying that the majority of illegal firearms happen to be held by blacks.

I'm not saying all blacks carry illegal firearms. I'm saying that the majority of illegal firearms happen to be held by blacks.

And what implication do you think this has?

And in your (non-biased and well researched, I'm sure) survey did you control for socio-economic status or any other factors?

Yeah, and my dog walks backwards and waggs its head.... Muppet!

To my mind a so called progressive liberal aproach needs to be firmly rooted in more traditional notions of discipline such that neither of the two lose sight of each other.This is of course very difficult when the volume of individuals claiming special consideration for the very fact of their own criminality seems to be higher every day.

There is certainly a widely shared perception of an acceleration in gang related crime,I don't think it serves us very well to put this down to anything other than the very simple fact that people have memories of the reality of their own lives which as yet,the authorities have not yet managed to erase.

Having said that,I'm actually optimistic,I think that the level of indulgent topsy turvy logic applied to crime has only a few more years to run before crime becomes conspicuously more prevelant in better areas not to mention unmanageable in poorer areas and criminals become conspicuously too expensive to administer in terms of their detriment to society and the plethora of expensive public sector mollycoddling they require,then a more palatable state of affairs will exist.

IMAGINE A FUTURE WHERE : Troubled children are enticed into crime because the rewards far out weigh the risks.

Where the courts have no powers to punish juveniles, so their given another slap on the wrists and sent on their way, except from all resposibility, allowing them to spiral out of control, resulting in a well earned criminal record due to a catalogue of offences by the time they reach late teens.

With a past best foregotten and an uncharted future they take solace in drugs, doing what ever it takes to fund the habbit. out on the street selling for their dealer to earn a free hit.

Early twenties and trapped by a system that planted a seed in a juveniles mind, that rules are for adults who fear a consequence, but they can't touch me.........Im a juvenile!!.

Fingers crossed it'll never come to this.

Edited by danot

If the dog is taking on the role as father, perhaps this needs to be looked at.

We need to encourage a society where the family is the central focus point, the natural father takes on the role of father roles. Dogs do not make good father figures.