How to promote Sheffield?

Hi, I'm an international student in Sheffield, and my recent program is to plan a PR campaign to promote Sheffield.

And I really want to find something special in Sheffield (except steel)that can attract people's eyes from all over the world.

Can anyone tell me valuable ideas that really can bring a great promotion of Sheffield?:confused:

Thanks,

YAN

Well Sheffield is the national centre for sport in the UK I believe, someone might correct me on this but I thought this was the case.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_in_Sheffield?wasRedirected=true

This might not help you but I hope it does.

Edited by Forumosaurus

I don’t know what the official stance is but I always thought Loughborough was pretty high on the sporting list.

Loughborough is the UK's premier University for sport, a reputation built up over 60 years, and world famous for developing high performance athletes, facilities, coaching and research expertise

http://sdc.lboro.ac.uk/events/?cat_id=19&level=1

And I really want to find something special in Sheffield (except steel)that can attract people's eyes from all over the world.

Can anyone tell me valuable ideas that really can bring a great promotion of Sheffield?:confused:

Thanks,

YAN

How about starting on the lines of?

Ever wondered what it would be like to watch Krusty the clown and co off The Simpsons run a council? Well come over to Sheffield and watch it in real life!

Our idea's of running a council are so simple to understand! Scared of falling on ice? Don't worry we will build more water features, just to provide that little bit extra ice!

Want to come shopping? Visit our many pound shops with chavs stood outside that stink of more **** than the OAP conga line.

Want a drink with the locals? Sheffield is proud to supply White Lightening Cider, but only if you ask Terry with the vomit on his t shirt.

Fancy a ride on a roller coaster? Well just jump in a expensive taxi or bus and just go for a ride. Our roads have more bumps and twists than Susan Boyle's face!

All Sheffield asks is that you are up to date with your jabs and have your own body armour.......Sheffield, pothole city winners 2008, 2009 and 2010

How about starting on the lines of?

Ever wondered what it would be like to watch Krusty the clown and co off The Simpsons run a council? Well come over to Sheffield and watch it in real life!

Our idea's of running a council are so simple to understand! Scared of falling on ice? Don't worry we will build more water features, just to provide that little bit extra ice!

Want to come shopping? Visit our many pound shops with chavs stood outside that stink of more **** than the OAP conga line.

Want a drink with the locals? Sheffield is proud to supply White Lightening Cider, but only if you ask Terry with the vomit on his t shirt.

Fancy a ride on a roller coaster? Well just jump in a expensive taxi or bus and just go for a ride. Our roads have more bumps and twists than Susan Boyle's face!

All Sheffield asks is that you are up to date with your jabs and have your own body armour.......Sheffield, pothole city winners 2008, 2009 and 2010

very interesting, thanks so much!

How about making a claim that most of us on here know about already, that Sheffield is the centre of the known universe!

OK, you mentioned steel, but such technology went out to the rest of the world from here.

Football spread out from here to the rest of the world. There used to be Sheffield rules and London rules (I believe) before it was merged together and become the world's beautiful game.

The influences of Sheffield musicians. Dave Berry, Tony Christie, Human League, Joe Cocker and the Arctic Monkeys to name a few.

...I'm sure you'll find a few more. Start with a theme and expand on it. Oh yeah, cleanest industrial city in Europe etc, number of trees and parks etc. Make some wild claims, let's face it, marketing is all about bending the truth isn't it.

How about blocking all access to this forum to anyone from outside Sheffield? That way all the nay sayers, defeatists and whiners could go about their usual business on this forum without potential visitors getting the impression that Sheffield is populated by Neanderthals who hate their city.

How about blocking all access to this forum to anyone from outside Sheffield? That way all the nay sayers, defeatists and whiners could go about their usual business on this forum without potential visitors getting the impression that Sheffield is populated by Neanderthals who hate their city.

I like that idea, and I never said I hated the city.

very interesting, thanks so much!

Don't forget we have the Castle Market Zoo

Hello YAN welcome to Sheffield - you have a serious problem

It would take the likes of Peter Mandleson and Max Clifford to even attempt

a constructive, coherent, viable PR campaign to promote this 'vibrant' city,

after all Sheffield is the 4/5th largest in England, so why does it not even

appear on the national weather maps??

Many people, over the last 40 years, since the demise of the steel industry

have attempted to 'Jolly up' the City's image, but to a large extent failed,

the reasons for which, If I put them on line might be edited by the powers

that be !!

Any rooad up owd lad thal af nowt but a greadly stop i'nt town !!

Sheffielders are not a bad bunch!

Best of luck YAN - concentrate on the rock bands, not the empty tower

blocks and decaying roads.]