Ivory Bar reopening as Harrisons 1854

Oh WHAT a disappointment. Oh well. Back to the Milestone for cocktails for me ;)

Olive bar is pretty good for cocktails, as is Platillos.

Called in to Harrisons on Friday night - enjoyed a couple of pints of Moonshine with some complimentary olives and nuts and found it to be perfectly pleasant.

It's a true freehouse and they are currently seeing what the punters are wanting before moving towards any particular market. No food yet, but its possible it will be coming soon. They have some decent looking cocktails on and the ale is reasonably priced.

Is definitely worth calling in, hope they make a go of it.

Was in the other night (Sat) shame no one else was. Does anybody drink in here anymore? Notice that The Lounge next door has gone also:o

Is this bar/restaurant still open, any one been in recently?

Is this bar/restaurant still open, any one been in recently?

It is still open but I'm not sure if it still does food.

Yes, they are open.

No, they don't do food.

And it has recently gone very expensive unfortunately.

Guest makapaka

Its a funny place is Harrisons.

Me and the OH like it, it's got a bit of character and does some good beers (Brooklyn Lager on draft which is a rarity in town).

The thing is no one seems to be going in. Everytime I've been in there it's nigh on empty. I don't know why, it's not cheap but not many places are in town.

Maybe they need a bit of a theme, live music, comedy or something to get people off West St and in.

Just hope it doesn't close.

Its a funny place is Harrisons.

......Maybe they need a bit of a theme, live music, comedy or something to get people off West St and in.

You're right. I've only been in once. It wasn't that busy and I didn't stay long. I had a swift half of one of Toad Brewery's bitters (from Doncaster) - which was nice to see (though not to drink).

The place felt like it was neither one thing nor another. It wasn't really a real ale and continental lagers place, though it could be without changing too much. It's more like a 1980s idea of a stylish bar. It's sort of all right, but no USP as the marketing people say. People don't walk past it that much so they forget it's there as it has no identity. An 'OK' bar would do well on West St, but being off West St they've got to do something more.