I'm struggling with agency work. Any advice would be welcomed.

I recruit for a number of expanding manufacturing companies in the Sheffield and Rotherham area.

I currently am handling permanent vacancies doing factory, production and manual work on salaries ranging from £15,000 to £18,000. Some are shift work none is skilled so reliability, a steady, checkable work history, team attitude and a desire to work is what I look for.

Call me on 0114 2811470 for more information or forward your CV to me deborah@managementbank.com

So when you and R2N2 go for an interview for a “proper” job, you have been out of work for X amount of time while R2N2 as been working, which one do you is think is going to be viewed more favourably bt the new employer.

Isn't this a teeny bit patronising? :|

Isn't this a teeny bit patronising? :|

How do you get that, it’s a fact who would you employ?

Someone that hadn’t worked for months / years or someone that had taken any job to stay in the “market” until something better came along.

Fair enough - I just thought it went a bit against the sympathetic nature of the previous posts. And I was guessing ging viking would already know the risks of a CV gap..

Edited by Jeerumba
typo

I was just reassuring him he was doing the right thing, as I said earlier I have been there and done it myself, the only thing that kept me going was the knowledge that it was just a stepping stone / stopgap.

OK - yes, I've been there too! TSB Logistics in Ecclesfield! It was 15 years ago but the 'funny' racism etc took me straight back there! :(

No, it's not at Stocksbridge. I know I should stick with it, especially in the current climate. I hate to sound melodramatic, but the trouble is, it's making me miserable! I'm not sure being miserable is worth minimum wage.

I remember doing agency work when a student and it was mind numbing but paid the bills.

Try to look at the positive side the longer you stick at the more likely the agency will find out your reliable and hopefully find you better jobs (keep asking!). You are not having to pay for heating the house when you are at work and at least you are earning something so you might not have much left but at least you have a little extra money to treat yourself and it looks better when your applying for other jobs.

The most boring one I ever did was in an ice cream packing factory checking the lids were on properly and the most scary in a factory packing birthday cards, at first I thought the women there were going to eat me alive :lol: but they turned out to be ok the longer I stuck around and once I got to the third week they were actually quite nice :)

I found it very boring and spent a lot of time counting things or making silly games up in my head to try and prevent myself thinking about how bored I was :hihi: Just try to keep your mind off the negative stuff and try to think of other things, I find it makes you feel better and the time then goes faster. There's no point getting upset and working yourself up, in the end it's money. Hope something comes along soon.

I got made redundant last March and had to sign on for the full duration of the 6 months. I applied for jobs and got interviews but didnt get one. I then applied for a seasonal shop job and got it. I have now finished there about two weeks ago and have just got paid my final wage and am sat worrying where the next pay cheque is going to come from????. I used to be a admin assistant for a steel firm and i have applied for all sorts of work in offices but I suppose they would sooner pay someone who is 17/18 the lower wage than a woman of 34 years old who is experienced and has qualifactions a decent wage.

I have applied to two shops for jobs but havent heard anything yet and I am going to sit down tomorrow and just look for anyjob I can do that will bring a wage in, cause its more depressing sitting at home having nothing to do and worrying about how to earn money than been in a job thats a bit boring at least you are earning something. I have done agency work and mind numbing agency work but at least your out of the house feeling like your earning your way in the world and brining a wage in. In these times of recession and people who have lost their jobs need to sometimes accepct the fact that, yes you may need to do mind numbing jobs for a while till something decent comes along. I wish I could have a mind numbing job at the mo just to bring a wage in.

Things will get better eventually it might take sometime but you will get there and I have to keep beliving that I will get a job soon and that someone does want to employ me.

I used to be a admin assistant for a steel firm and i have applied for all sorts of work in offices but I suppose they would sooner pay someone who is 17/18 the lower wage than a woman of 34 years old who is experienced and has qualifactions a decent wage.

Why not apply for a job with the council - they often advertise for admin staff. Try general and school jobs (they aren't all for teachers). You must demonstrate that you can meet all the necessary requirements on the application form - and they take time to fill in - but you never know!

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/whats-new/job-vacancies

Why not apply for a job with the council - they often advertise for admin staff. Try general and school jobs (they aren't all for teachers). You must demonstrate that you can meet all the necessary requirements on the application form - and they take time to fill in - but you never know!

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/whats-new/job-vacancies

Don't they often advertise just to keep withing the law when really they already have someone lined up for the position for the majority of jobs?