Why Should Pedestrians Pay Their Council Tax?

for my £100 per month I fail to see what I'm getting. I've had to walk to work in the middle of the road today as you cannot walk on the pavements as they are covered in ice. Would the council like to grit the pavement at least once? It's been over a month. Its not safe for me to walk into work on the pavement and it's clearly not safe in the middle of the road.

People would possibly use grit from bins themselves if there was any..

I agree. I can't see the logic in gritting the roads but not the pavements. Our Road hasn't been gritted and our Black bin hasn't been emptied for 5 weeks today and its completely full. They're due to come today but would usually be here by now. We're lucky theres just the two of us and that we recycle lots otherwise god know what we'd do.

for my £100 per month I fail to see what I'm getting. I've had to walk to work in the middle of the road today as you cannot walk on the pavements as they are covered in ice. Would the council like to grit the pavement at least once? It's been over a month. Its not safe for me to walk into work on the pavement and it's clearly not safe in the middle of the road.

Bins emptied once a week, access to public libraries, police and fire service, street lighting, maintained roads, main routes gritted in poor weather, street cleaning, transport executive, etc. etc.

Not much I suppose. Poor you. :roll:

Bins emptied once a week, access to public libraries, police and fire service, street lighting, maintained roads, main routes gritted in poor weather, street cleaning, transport executive, etc. etc.

Not much I suppose. Poor you. :roll:

Bins. Not emptied

Libraries. Shut early

Police. Cost of a "Victim of crime" leaflet can't be high

Inadequate street lighting takes weeks (if not months) to be repaired

Maintained roads. You're kidding, right?

Main roads gritted. Depends on what you term as "main".

Street cleaning. Not where I live - it's a doggy-doo hopscotch

Transport executive. Don't use it.

I can see why some feel they don't get value for money.

Bins. Not emptied

Libraries. Shut early

Police. Cost of a "Victim of crime" leaflet can't be high

Inadequate street lighting takes weeks (if not months) to be repaired

Maintained roads. You're kidding, right?

Main roads gritted. Depends on what you term as "main".

Street cleaning. Not where I live - it's a doggy-doo hopscotch

Transport executive. Don't use it.

I can see why some feel they don't get value for money.

So you're saying you shouldn't contribute?

Nope, I understand that as a hard-working tax payer I need to contribute to essential services and various "social" causes. But I certainly don't think I get value for money.

Nope, I understand that as a hard-working tax payer I need to contribute to essential services and various "social" causes. But I certainly don't think I get value for money.

way it looks nice round the town hall - I bet its been gritted there

Surely the logic to this is:

1) A pedestrian falling on ice = one pedestrian injured at worst.

2) A car going out of control on ice = possible many people injured (including pedestrians), blocking of roads (e.g. disrupting public transport and emergency services) and economic disruption.

It makes complete sense to focus on the roads. And I say that as somebody who walks and cycles everywhere. I hardly ever drive.

for my £100 per month I fail to see what I'm getting. I've had to walk to work in the middle of the road today as you cannot walk on the pavements as they are covered in ice. Would the council like to grit the pavement at least once? It's been over a month. It's not safe for me to walk into work on the pavement and it's clearly not safe in the middle of the road.

Abbeydale Road pavements were cleared yesterday. A couple of (cold) Street Force chaps used their spades to clear the pavements from at least Bannerdale Road to town.

I am however disappointed in what I receive for what I pay:

*Bins emptied once a week.

My parents get their emptied twice a week in winter, every day in summer and mine hasn't been emptied for a while.

*access to public libraries

Council is reducing library opening hours so working persons such as myself can't go after work.

*police and fire service

Police do nothing but give accident numbers. Fire services closed five stations the past years and mispent public money by moving to Eyre Street.

*street lighting

I should bloody hope so

*maintained roads

they are not

*main routes gritted in poor weather

Shame for the majority of residents of streets

*street cleaning

I've yet to see the leaves cleared from five years ago. They've frozen and are a hazard.

*transport executive

they serve no purpose any more since they don't run any buses. bus stops barely taken care of, new bus stops in town for some reason (what was the problem with the old ones), money wasted on text service, bus stops located in daft places on wicker for example.

etc. etc.

Not much I suppose. Poor you.

You can't expect them to grit every path and road!

In the city centre all of the main paths were gritted and easy to walk on by 12pm on Tuesday (the day we had all the snow) which was rather impressive!