Black ice - whoooa

And now it's happily snowing again in Lodge Moor...... ENOUGH, I tell you! Tapton's closing at 2.30 for anyone who doesn't know.

I'm sick of the weather!! I couldn't get off my street this morning (S26). I tried reversing off my drive and it got stuck on the ungritted snow that's still not shifted. I walked to the local train station and got a train to Sheffield, then a train to Doncaster to get to work. I ended up being about an hour late for work but obviously didn't realise that I would have to get the train so didn't get up earlier etc. Anyway, I could tell that people thought that I should have attempted to drive (although I couldn't) so I feel really bad and stupid even though there was nothing I could do. Grrr.

Getting quite scared about getting home now. :( My driveway is a slope and was lethal to walk up. I'm terrifed about the walk DOWN. Miight end up shuffling on my bum!

Know what you mean! We live in Charnock and the sloped drive is ridiculous, gettign really nervous about going back out in this again to get home... and then I've got to get up my ski slope to the front door!!!!!

I wont be risking it to get to work in this weather again, its just not worth it

I wish they'd give my team the option to work from home, it's taking forever to make it in, and with a new injury every day it seems :( But I don't think we get paid if we don't make it in, even if we try but fail.....

Lucky she can. How do you know mj.scuba can (realistically) walk to work or not? E.g. my place of work is 16 miles away, not much choice in the matter.

Sounded to me (from his post) that mj.scuba was going downhill engine braking in 1st @ 2mph :huh:

Note that you can still lose traction that way, without touching the brakes beforehand, if the hill is severe enough.

I got myself out of a tight spot like that with the handbrake this morning (to turn/swing the sliding car the other way, to get the wheels to hit some left-over snow. It worked, thankfully enough, but I had to check my underpants afterwards, to be sure :blush:). I heard from the Mrs that a neighbour unfortunately didn't, a short while later = 5 car pile-up :(

Even though I was going down the hill in first gear I still had to use the brakes to stop it going too fast. Even if left in 1st and letting the gear hold you back I bet you could get 10mph going down hill, didn't fancy going that fast!

Snowing in Deepcar apperently, thanks for the heads up Dad! :hihi:

get yourself up to rounds news and buy some salt.. Its a family friends shop ha

They still have some salt left on the shelves? :wow:

Even though I was going down the hill in first gear I still had to use the brakes to stop it going too fast. Even if left in 1st and letting the gear hold you back I bet you could get 10mph going down hill, didn't fancy going that fast!
Know exactly what you mean, but there's been a few on the forum who don't seem to understand this ;)

Falling heavy but in very fine/small flake size in S9 (about as low in valley as you can get), not holding on cars or gritted parts, but I still can't begin to imagine what the drive home is gonna be like :(

Wonder how much the black-market going rate is at the moment for a packet of salt ???

Anyone know what the state of the pavements are in and around the city centre/train station now? They were deadly this morning so I'm just mentally planning my best route home.

I drove past the train station at about 1.15pm and there were quite a few people walking around so I'm guessing it's not so icy down there now.

Anyone know what the state of the pavements are in and around the city centre/train station now? They were deadly this morning so I'm just mentally planning my best route home.

Just looking at the traffic cameras and it shows there are quite a few people walking about round the station so you should be ok.. :)