Black ice - whoooa

ive been to the local shops at darnall and it was bad!

It was my day to take the children to school and nursery (I live off the top end of Greysyones Rd) - I never even attempted it on our hilly roads, I've never seen black ice like it, we have seven steps, a pathway and three more steps at the bottom and I wasn't even going to attempt to carry a baby down them - totally glassy like others are reporting. As for trying to get the car out and drive to the nursery - no way - all I could hear between 8-9 A.M were sirens from emergency services.

So it's a day off for all of us.

Now where's that new toy I had hidden away until the weekend for my eldest.....

get yourself up to rounds news and buy some salt.. Its a family friends shop ha

is it? where??

been snowing a bit here in s8, settled on top of the rd and the car which was covered in de-icer

I thought you could go anywhere in a correctly driven 4x4? :hihi:
Almost, there are of course many different types of 4x4 with different capabilities.

The biggest problem many drivers face is understanding how to use the 4x4 to brake or slow the vehicle and NOT use the brakes - which often just lock the wheels and turn it into a big sledge :suspect: Keeping them in 1st gear and low ratio if they have them ensures the wheels keep turning and as such allow you to keep control - assuming you aren't moving too fast of course (1mph is good in such conditions contrary to someone else's opinion earlier). Same principle that ABS uses in preventing the wheels from locking.

Anyone know if the subway by Staples is still bad?

Was horrific round there this morning.

Wow, sounds like I picked a good day to work from home and get some furniture delivered! Think staying in is the best option... Anyone know if we are expecting similar things tomorrow?

open your front gate and door just incase the reversing lorry`s back door flip open as he skids to your house.can slide straight in then :hihi:

seriously tho` i hope everyone`s ok and injury and property damage free :thumbsup:

Almost, there are of course many different types of 4x4 with different capabilities.

The biggest problem many drivers face is understanding how to use the 4x4 to brake or slow the vehicle and NOT use the brakes - which often just lock the wheels and turn it into a big sledge :suspect: Keeping them in 1st gear and low ratio if they have them ensures the wheels keep turning and as such allow you to keep control - assuming you aren't moving too fast of course (1mph is good in such conditions contrary to someone else's opinion earlier). Same principle that ABS uses in preventing the wheels from locking.

I was using engine braking last week at walking pace in 1st gear and just the engine braking alone was locking up the wheels, had to keep depressing the clutch to make the wheel sturn to enable me to steer,

Report from Stannington - light covering of snow, then icy rainy stuff, now back to snow. Weather Report on ITV news just stated more snow to come but ' satellite not picking up all the sleet and snow'.

Get home safely everyone x

I'm getting increasingly worried about getting to work and back later..

I have to get from Kimberworth to Infirmary Road and hopefully back again at 10pm tonight..

I'm pressuming the main roads will be clear ??, but the roads on my estate aren't very good at all..

I'm getting increasingly worried about getting to work and back later..

I have to get from Kimberworth to Infirmary Road and hopefully back again at 10pm tonight..

I'm pressuming the main roads will be clear ??, but the roads on my estate aren't very good at all..

Pretty bad in the S6 area sarah. The problem has been caused by freezing rain throughout the night falling onto melting snow, thereby causing black ice. If you do have to go, try some of your OHs socks OVER your boots, to give extra grip.

I couldnt even stand up in my street in Walkley this morning! Fell over twice, you just cant get a grip on the ground at all. Had to get down on my hands and knees at one point to get through the ice!

Spent the morning in childrens A&E as little one fell on the ice and had to have stitches. I wont be risking it to get to work in this weather again, its just not worth it

Pretty bad in the S6 area sarah. The problem has been caused by freezing rain throughout the night falling onto melting snow, thereby causing black ice. If you do have to go, try some of your OHs socks OVER your boots, to give extra grip.

Oh poop.. :help:

I'll do that over my boots, good idea.. :) But it's my car tyres slipping I'm worried about.. :(